Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

LIE & Van Wyck construction

This was either 1961 or 1962 and shows the Long Island Expressway and Van Wyck under construction. Inside the fair grounds the footprint for the Kodak Pavilion is in place, and work is well underway on General Electric. There's not a lot to see of the rest of the Fair at this stage. Fair Corp negative D3008.

d3008.jpg

http://www.nywf64.com/easkod02.shtml

"Due to a last minute downpour, symbolic groundbreaking ceremonies, complete with toy shovels, were held for Eastman Kodak's Fair exhibit "

"THE EASTMAN KODAK GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONIES, NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR, TUESDAY, AUGUST 21, 1962"

Would the groundbreaking occur AFTER they were this far along?  This seems to imply the photo was taken in later 1962 (?).

Wonderful shot.  Look at how fresh the former Aquacade appears in this photograph.  I really like the black and white.

Holy cow I didn't realize those highways were brand new for the fair! I have vivid memories of dad driving us along that big arc behind Bell System to watch construction progress and at night once the buildings were illuminated.

He worked for Transit Mix Concrete in Flushing. Between this construction and the Verrazano Bridge anchors they must've poured a whole buncha concrete in the early 60s!

9 hours ago, xl5er said:

Holy cow I didn't realize those highways were brand new for the fair! ...

I think there were some print articles that said that the touted "billion dollar fair" included the cost of highway construction, so maybe $500 M was spent on the fair itself and $500 M on the highways.

On 3/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, waynebretl said:

http://www.nywf64.com/easkod02.shtml

"Due to a last minute downpour, symbolic groundbreaking ceremonies, complete with toy shovels, were held for Eastman Kodak's Fair exhibit "

"THE EASTMAN KODAK GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONIES, NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR, TUESDAY, AUGUST 21, 1962"

Would the groundbreaking occur AFTER they were this far along?  This seems to imply the photo was taken in later 1962 (?).

Yes, late 1962 would seem to make sense based on that. All of these B&W shots were from large format negatives, and in most cases the only info on them was the negative number on the envelope.

I took another look at this and the photo really highlights how the Van Wyck (I 678) cut through the fairgrounds leaving the 1939 Court of Peace etc. as an orphaned piece of land.  It also appears that this particular section of the 1939 Fair where FDR had stood to deliver his dedication address was basically just empty land after the 1940 fair closed.  I'd love to take a metal detector and walk that area today.  I'll bet a few 1939 memories could be uncovered.