3 posts in this topic

I recently discovered this picture. The wagon says it is a "World's Fair Special Service" wagon, likely making deliveries to businesses in the World's Fair grounds. While the photograph doesn't say which World's Fair it is at, I think it is in St. Louis. There is a box for Carl Hagenbeck in the wagon. He had an exhibit at the 1893 and 1904 fair, but this picture looks newer than 1893. There is also a street light in the background that looks identical to streetlights I've seen in other 1904 fair pictures.

Does anyone know what building the wagon is front of? I looked through every picture on the Missouri History Museum website and others, but I haven't seen any other pictures of this building. It looks like a smaller building, possibly on the Pike, so it may not have been well documented. It's been driving me nuts because it looks like a really interest Egyptian styled building. I'd love to know what it was.

wagon 1904.jpg

Great photo. Good luck. Curious what performances are continuous. Western wagon and Egyptian glyphs quite a juxtaposition. 

What a great photo of a Wells Fargo wagon.  It reminds me of that great tune from The Music Man.  

The Wells Fargo wagon was like UPS and FedEx rolled into one in its day.  I know you asked about the building but it is the wagon that caught my eye.