Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IngaBerg

Freedom Pavilion 1939 looking for Information

4 posts in this topic

Dear Community,

I am trying to gather as much information as possible on the "Freedom Pavilion" from 1939 World Faire. As it never got realised and the brain storming phase seemed to have been interupted at an very early stage, it is very hard to find any information on concept ideas, sketches and team members. Maybe you could provide further information?! I am looking forward to your ideas on the matter and will be happy to receive any hint on where to begin my research.

Best wishes from Germany

IngaBerg

Welcome!

I can't provide any direct help, but I suggest you repost this in the 1939 fair section.

[or maybe an admin can move it?]

The New York Public Library has archives of New York World's Fair documents.

https://www.nypl.org/sites/default/files/archivalcollections/pdf/nywf39fa.pdf

lists the records they have for 1939, including

"New York City 1939 World's Fair Architectural Drawings, [ca. 1935]. Museum of the City of New York. 361
design drawings and sketches prepared primarily for buildings and pavilions constructed by
American companies, proposals for buildings that were not constructed, and sketches showing
views of fairgrounds."

I believe the only way to access the particular items is in person at the library.

A German architect who fled the Third Reich in 1938, Ferdinand Kramer, proposed a concept for a Freedom Pavilion for the NYWF but it never materialized. He was involved in several smaller NYWF projects but whatever he had in mind for that pavilion did not happen.