MitchS

Serpentine Phone Booth Available- PLEASE READ!

LAST CALL!! A World's Fair Legacy may be lost. http://64nywf65.20m.com/Booth/Booth.htm
Please spread the word, the only remaining serpentine phone booth from the World's Fair is available for preservation. A small donation, logistics and the cost of removal is all you need to provide and its yours! The current owners are moving and the new owners will likely scrap it. Please reach out to anyone you know who may know someone or somewhere that may want it. The photos provided are a bit old so there may be more wear and tear on the booth, but its all that remains! Serious inquiries please- PM me.

What's really sad is that this booth could find a home at the Queens Museum--right back in Flushing Meadow where its life began.  But I'll bet they would not consider it.   It's worth a call to the Smithsonian or Henry Ford but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I truly hope someone is able to take it and restore it.  The maps, alone, are incredibly cool.

Since I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to help save this booth, I will do all I can to find the best solution for the booth. Hopefully somewhere it can be enjoyed by many of course.

Hello Mitch: 

I  so hope you can save this wonderful piece of the fair!!!  I have dreamed of owning this myself-- when I first became aware of it several years ago, I figured at that time that if it ever did go up for sale, it would be too rich for my blood!!!  When it was offered up not long ago,  I again thought about it,  but knew that I live too far away to have it transported (I live in Illinois) even if I could afford it.  Believe me, I would be first in line to own it if I could figure out a way to afford the transportation to Illinois and whatever it would cost to buy it from the present owners.  Please do everything in your power to save it-- it would be absolutely criminal to see it end up scrapped!!!  I missed out on a chance to own one of the ride chairs from the Bell Pavilion two years ago that had been preserved untouched in enclosed storage since 1965 by the original purchaser-- It was very reasonably priced, but it was too far away for me to get it transported to my home in Illinois.  Good luck-- I will say a prayer that it gets preserved!!

Ronald

Hi,

I have the room to be a caretaker till I can find the time to restore it when I retire.Where is this booth?And I see it's been cut for transport once before.How heavy is it could two guys load it in pieces on a 4x7 trailer and a 4x8 capacity mini-van?.I'm up in the Catskills  It might compliment my Worlds fair benches, and Doug Seed saved Luminaire...In my eventual Worlds Fair tribute backyard zen garden.....Andy

• Like 1

Hi Mitch and Andy.  Hey Mitch, Andy's legit and would be a good solution to the emergency custody issue.  Personally, I'd love to see the unit on display at the Henry Ford - I think it's right up their alley.

Doug

• Like 1

Sorry  for not posting here for a bit. We are working on a very viable option but will hopefully return the booth back to the park.  Thanks for your interest Andy, and your passion for preservation. I will hopefully be back soon with some updates.

• Like 1

last  I checked that booth was on Long island. I am on long Island. If it can fit (Utilizing the old cut lines) in the back of standard GM work van I'd consider working to take possession and store it in my basement till a permanent, public home could be found

If the booth really is returning to the park or Queens Museum where it can be seen (and ideally used) by the public again, I'd be willing to contribute to a campaign to restore it.