Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Concept art for the never built "America's Heartland Pavilion"

americas-heartland.jpg

The slogan on the side reads "take a ROCKET BELT FLIGHT out where the WEST BEGINS." It would be interesting to know more about the planned show inside.

It would have been good if more states had participated.  This structure may have been an interesting addition although it resembles a very large bread box.

PS:  Bill, with the ones that never materialized at all, do you have some indication as to where they would have been located if they had been constructed?

4 hours ago, Jim said:

PS:  Bill, with the ones that never materialized at all, do you have some indication as to where they would have been located if they had been constructed?

I have it for some of them, Jim, and will post a map soon that has a lot of that on it.

• Like 1

Not for anything, but I always thought that was one ugly building. No wonder those four states didn't exhibit at the Fair! I showed it to my husband and he said it looks like a big transistor radio and not very imaginative. But then so was the proposed multi state exhibitor building that was designed to look like a big mountain or the one that looked like a musical note (I think that one was for Georgia). Thank heaven they weren't built either. Can you imagine what the critics would have said about any of these.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:26 AM, Bill Cotter said:

The building was unattractive but I would like to have seen the rocket belt ride.

I'd guess an aerial movie, maybe on a domed screen from the shape of the building. Any idea of how big this really would be? Concept art could have cheated on the size of the human figures to make it look much grander than actually planned.

The pavilion went through several designs, some of which didn't look anything like this one. Bill Young has this on his site:

" This 44,000 sq. foot pavilion would have held the exhibits of the states of America's "heartland" ... North and South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas. Neighboring states had been invited to join in the pavilion. Commissioners were appointed from each of the four states and the exhibit was to feature a film with a new type of projection system. The site of the pavilion, across from the Federal Pavilion and adjacent to the New Mexico exhibit, remained vacant during the Fair."