Bill Cotter

Vintage fire engine display

The FDNY had a display of vintage equipment at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. Here's a 1912 engine that was part of the display.

fdny-1912-fire-engine.jpg

Another piece of FDNY gear at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. This must have been part of a special day as the trucks were not always at this spot, which was outside the New York City Building.

fdny-ambulance.jpg

Another piece of FDNY gear at the 1939-40 World's Fair. Anyone have any information on what type of apparatus this was?

fdny-name-needed.jpg

That looks like some kind of telescoping arm that might have levers to aim that fire nozzle from the ground.

The business end is called a water monitor or water cannon (infamously, when used against people rather than fire).

http://www.guardianfire.com/products/firemonitors/monitors.htm

It's a water cannon.  They are used far more for riot control or even power washing of large vehicles etc. than fire fighting per se.  I did not even realize the US had them in 1939.  Most fire department eliminated these devices long ago.

I remember a similar tower from the incredibly detailed plastic model I made of this 1938 fireboat. The many brass fittings were reproduced in shiny golden plastic.

The tower on the boat had a platform for a fireman to direct the stream. The truck tower did look like it was controlled remotely.

Lots more pre war pics of NYC fireboats in action fighting ship fires available for those inclined toward the intersection of several PTU interests.

For another take on cylinders spouting water look into hydraulic mining in the Sierra Nevada. (I literally thought to myself, "That region is a gold mine of history!" and had my Sunday chuckle)

PS Take it from me. Standing on a tall tower on a rocking boat is an experience the Chinese may subtly describe as "interesting."

IMG_0921.thumb.PNG.ef5a4a84cfb96de5b34a9baab9cd6718.PNGIMG_0920.thumb.PNG.38a701a8ee1bfd172e433134eb37eeee.PNG

I posted a picture of Fire Fighter on a different site a few months ago. The boat is still with us and is currently in a shipyard getting some TLC. Here it was when brand spanking new.

fire-fighter.jpg