wayofthefuture

Anyone going?

14 posts in this topic

I've just booked my flights to Kazakhstan! I plan to stop in Almaty for a couple of days then spend Aug 15-17 at the Expo. Are any of you guys planning to be there? Would love to meet up if dates overlap.

1 person likes this

No, I think I'll pass. I hope you have a great trip.

I will definitely be going.  At the moment, thinking of  Sat Jun 24 to Sun Jul 9 time frame, with the first week spent in Moscow/St Petersburg and the second week at the Expo itself (6 days Expo, 1 day Astana city tour).  Will probably wait till next month to book flights though. I hope to submit a trip report after coming back. 

1 person likes this

I'm going - but I don't think our times will intersect as I'm going in June and returning before the 24th

I'll be going ~June 20-25. Still looking for logistical info on best ways to get around Astana and where to stay in the city. Anyone have info. or suggestions to share?

29 minutes ago, CofP33 said:

I'll be going ~June 20-25. Still looking for logistical info on best ways to get around Astana and where to stay in the city. Anyone have info. or suggestions to share?

I'm staying at the Marriott - rates were pretty reasonable with lots of availability when I checked, and it's quite a deal at only 10k points per night, if you've got those to spare.

There's a light rail system that is supposed to be open in advance of the Expo, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that, and I'm not sure of the routing. I believe Uber also has a presence in the city  

I will definitely be going. There is no way in the world that I would miss a World Expo or an International Expo. With that being said, I have bought Expo tickets for 6 days (July 1 to July 6). I also bought an additional ticket for the Cirque du Soleil Reflekt show that is part of the Expo. I am going to spend the prior day exploring Astana. The day before that will be for exploring Bishkek (in neighboring Kyrgyzstan) - no visa for Kyrgyzstan required for American tourists if staying 60 or less number of days. Round trip plane ticket from DFW to Astana was USD 1013.79 (with an additional USD 63.36 for travel insurance). Round trip plane ticket from Astana to Bishkek was USD 169.56 (with an additional USD 21.88 for travel insurance). A combined trip visiting all the Stan countries along with Russia while visiting the Expo would have been the ultimate dream, but limitations of vacation time as well as money in the bank, make that unrealistic for my situation. However, I am very happy with what I will be fortunate enough to experience. I am especially happy that I could make one of the days, July 6, the National Capital Day of Astana, as part of my Expo visit. Also, July 4th will be a good day to show up at the US pavilion and support my country. Can't wait. I do plan on submitting a trip report after my visit.

2 people like this

I'm planning my trip now, though I'd like to clear up some details before I fully commit. Are the tickets fully online, or could I walk up to the gates the day of and purchase them? Is there like a three day pass (I'm planning on being in Astana August 1-7.  I'm still looking around for lodging and transportation around the city as well.

Joey,

I'm planning to stay at the Hotel 7 Palat, which is just north of the fairgrounds. I'll be there next week and will try to report on it and other conditions at the exposition. I have a former student from Astana and she said that taxis are the easiest way to get around the city. Astana has also bought new buses and apparently has established new routes through the city. 

Joey, to partially answer your question, according to this website http://kazworld.info/?p=59756 tickets can be bought at various ticket offices around the city, though it doesn't answer your question about whether you can buy the tickets at the gate itself. I know for Expo 2016 Antalya, I was able to buy the ticket at the gate - even got 50 percent off because some mobile phone company was doing a promotion, which I didn't know about until at the gate. The only passes that I am aware of are good for 1 day and according to the previous website a pass which you can use for all the special days (for example, June 10, July 6, etc). There is a rumor that there is an unlimited pass - whether that is a true rumor or a false rumor, I don't know. 

According to this website, you need at least 4 days to see all the Expo Pavilions   https://expo2017.com/en/p/dlya-osmotra-vseh-pavilonov-expo-ponadobitsya-ne-menee-chetyreh-sutok   I am posting this for the benefit of those who may want an expert opinion on how many days to spend at the Expo. I am doing 6 days. 

I'll be in Astana August 1-7 and will be staying at the Absolut hotel in Old Town. It will be my first world's fair! 

I have worked at 4 expos and although I sometimes wish I had gone to the Shanghai Expo, I am wondering if the new fairs are too different/over the top from type of fairs that I worked at and love. 

Jeez, if there was only a time machine to take me back to Expo 67 & 70!

On 6/20/2017 at 4:24 PM, Joey Chernov said:

I'll be in Astana August 1-7 and will be staying at the Absolut hotel in Old Town. It will be my first world's fair! 

I'll look out for you! I'm in Astana 2nd to 7th, mostly at expo. If you want to look out, or avoid me, I'll be in a wheelchair with a 6 foot man with a beard.

I hope you enjoy your first expo - generally I prefer the smaller ones - so am looking forward to it very much