Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waynebretl

Kodak reintroducing Ektachrome

13 posts in this topic

Kodak Alaris has announced plans to reintroduce Ektachrome in 35mm still and super 8 movie films by 4th quarter of this year:

http://www.kodakalaris.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2016/kodak-alaris-reintroduces-iconic-ektachrome-still-film

I have also seen rumors that they may consider reintroducing Kodachrome by 2019.

1 person likes this

It will, again, be manufactured in Rochester.  I wonder if it will create any new jobs for that hard hit city.

I wonder where you can get it processed. I shots hundreds of rolls of Ektachrome and might want to do some for old times sake.

" EKTACHROME Film is developed using the E6 process, available in many professional labs today. "

This is the same process used for Fujichrome transparencies, which is currently on the market. A prime place to get them developed is Dwayne's, who were also the last place to process Kodachrome:

https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/slide-film.html

B and H sells prepaid processing mailers that go to Dwayne's

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/18646-REG/Fujifilm_Slide_Processing_Mailer_for.html

and even sells processing chemical kits for DIY-ers:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1190980-REG/arista_11861_rapid_e6_slide.html

If you want to shoot some transparencies without waiting for Ektachrome, Fujichrome is decent stuff.

I'm not much of a photographer but didn't rolls of exposed film find their way to Kodak for developing in the years of film photography?  I can't envision drug stores dealing with film as they once did nor the return of fotomats.  However, if Kodak is going to reintroduce the stuff they have to plan a way for it to be processed with some convenience for the photographers.  Hopefully, Kodak learned something from all of the corporate errors of the past and will find a niche market for film and rebuild the brand.  I remember reading that Kodak has some sort of an arrangement to provide film for movie production companies to preserve what already exists and for future film production that would not be digital.

Wouldn't it be something if film made a comeback like vinyl?

7 hours ago, stig said:

Wouldn't it be something if film made a comeback like vinyl?

It's hard to beat the cost of digital vs film!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Not to mention immediate access to results and the ability to shift ISO at will.

1 person likes this

On 1/10/2017 at 8:20 PM, Bill Cotter said:

Very true.  I'm not a serious photographer and would never want the inconvenience.  But I do hate the thought of living in a world where where traditional film is extinct.

I'll bet that more photos are shot in one day now, than were shot at the Worlds Fair in two seasons. Maybe in one hour.

There was an excellent estimation of the number of photos taken each year from the beginning of photography until 2011 or so, on a blog on a site called 1000memories. Don't go there now, as it apparently has been infected with malware. If you do search this topic, do not click on any links to the original blog.

They estimated from years in which the silver industry reported how much silver was used in analog photography, then worked backwards by means of the Kodak employee numbers and forward from the statistics of number of photos posted online. Here are the two relevant graphics. More recent estimates are that 1.3 trillion or more photos will be posted online this year.

photos_taken_by_year.png

largest_photo_libraries.png

Thanks, Wayne.  Then at least another 1.3 trillion must be shot, but not posted on line.

this reminded me of another thread where I tried to estimate the number of photos taken at the Fair: