Sign in to follow this  
Batgurrl

What is this Seattle Worlds Fair Item?

Hi all - need help in identifying what this thing is. I found it several years ago and over the holidays have been working on an inventory of my WF mini-museum. I think it is time to get some expert help. The guesses have ranged from an ashtray missing pieces, a way to paint fingernails, or candle holder.  All seem just wrong!

It is missing some medallions or coins so it is really tacky in a mid-century way.  Have searched several times for it but no luck.  It is an odd duck.  

Hope you all had a fabulous holiday!!

SE1962M09-2.JPG

SE1962M09-1.JPG

What are the dimensions?

Either the center medallion doesn't belong, or the piece was sloppily made, or the medallion was sloppily replaced off center. I vote for the first option, with this being a candle holder. Depending on the dimensions, it may have held a votive candle glass. (?)

5 hours ago, waynebretl said:

Either the center medallion doesn't belong, or the piece was sloppily made, or the medallion was sloppily replaced off center. I vote for the first option, with this being a candle holder. Depending on the dimensions, it may have held a votive candle glass. (?)

I also thought candle holder

I think we are on to something. I have often thought the medallion was misplaced or repaired wrongly. I bet it was one of the 5 missing ones or found on another stray Century 21 item.

The dimensions are 2 7/8" diameter base, the tallest spot is also 2 7/8" and the place where the glass chimney shade went is 1 1/4" tall and 1 1/2" where the shade would have rested.  The prongs have spring to hold it in.

Makes me wonder if it is a piece of WF memorabilia even. Buyer beware. :)

Thanx everyone...  this is an unusual item and I will go do some more research now with these clues.

I had beer goblets with broad tops and narrow ribbed lowers that would have both fit in there and benefitted from a stablizing base. Plus why would there be something decorative to see in the center if you were going to cover it w wax? Or as you say that medallion does not belong there.

Maybe it sold with a drinking glass that had some WF designs on the side too. 

I assume the bottom is blank. Celtics were big on having symbols on bottom for religious significance. 

(Make that Celts. The Celtics used dribble glasses, naturally)

Maybe an espresso glass cup holder? There are such things, but I can't find any that look like this.