Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

It looks like some people came to the Fair in style indeed!

A few of those look like the S.S. Minnow.  I've always been interested that there are almost no fiberglass boats there in 1964, but I go sailing these days on my friend's 1968 Galaxy 32 sailboat which is all fiberglass and built just three years after the fair. Maybe power yachts took longer to catch on?

It's interesting  that  with all  of  that water so close that neither the 1939 or 1964 Fairs made use of it.  Both could have rivaled the beauty of the San Francisco and Montreal fairs.

On 12/22/2016 at 9:54 PM, Doug Seed said:

A few of those look like the S.S. Minnow.  I've always been interested that there are almost no fiberglass boats there in 1964, but I go sailing these days on my friend's 1968 Galaxy 32 sailboat which is all fiberglass and built just three years after the fair. Maybe power yachts took longer to catch on?

Off the top of my head, I'm going to guess that fiberglass was first used on smaller boats, and it took a while before they were confident enough in the material to make bigger cruisers.  Wonder when the first fiberglass boats were made?

So it seems that early reinforced plastics were experimented with as far back as just before WWII, mass-produced fiberglass boats really only started appearing in the very late 50's and early 60's.  That would explain why so many boats at the marina in 1964 appeared to be made of wood.

http://www.materialstoday.com/composite-applications/features/50-years-of-reinforced-plastic-boats/