Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Time Machine Test

Bill, isn't this the rather standard postal card and slide shot taken from the top of the NYS towers?  I ask because my father bought a sleeve of slides with this shot--or one ver similar on it--and then I tried to duplicate it with his camera at the same spot on the NYS observation deck.  I still have both photos today.  It was a great view although incredibly ephemeral.

I think there was a law during the Fair that everyone who went up to the towers had to take one of these shots. Bill Young used to kid about going crazy if he saw just one more. I have quite a few but decided to post this as it was so quiet down there.

Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91 Ocean View, WA 99393. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

22 hours ago, expoboy said:

Was there perhaps a Kodak picture spot sign up on the tower?

It seems to me that Kodak Picture Spot signs were always on common ground, not in/on a pavilion. It kind of makes sense in that they would not be subject to relocation or whatever by the pavilion owners. Does anyone have a counterexample? 

Fifty  one years is a long time to recall if there was a Kodak picture spot sign at the top of NYS, but anybody who needed to be informed that the panoramic view right in front of them might make a semi-decent photograph didn't deserve to own a camera in the first place.

"The Fountain surrounding the Unisphere features a double ring of water jets, projecting vertical streams of water from 8 to 40 feet in height, simulating an advancing wave action. The globe seemingly floats in space, on a number of water sprays. The rising and falling motion of the advancing wave pattern suggests a rotation of the Unisphere. There are 96 streams in all, propelled by motors totalling 400 horsepower, delivering over 15,000 gallons of water per minute. A modified form of this fountain will be retained for the post-fair park. "

http://www.nywf64.com/mainmall02.html

18 hours ago, waynebretl said:

It seems to me that Kodak Picture Spot signs were always on common ground, not in/on a pavilion. It kind of makes sense in that they would not be subject to relocation or whatever by the pavilion owners. Does anyone have a counterexample? 

Could be that no pavilion sponsor wanted another sponsor's signs inside their expensively-sponsored pavilion?

12 hours ago, Jim said:

Fifty  one years is a long time to recall if there was a Kodak picture spot sign at the top of NYS, but anybody who needed to be informed that the panoramic view right in front of them might make a semi-decent photograph didn't deserve to own a camera in the first place.

LOL, Jim.  I agree.  The incredible vista would be evident to even the least talented photographer.