Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roger

History of Expo 67 - part 1

8 posts in this topic

Watched this on Facebook last night.  I could easily have sat through another 2 hours.  Fascinating stuff.

Expoboy is right. This video is an absolutely fascinating history lesson of what lead up to the start of construction of Expo 67. The speaker is very knowledgeable on Canadian history in general and specifically on the history of exhibitions. I highly recommend watching it and can't wait to see the next installment.

I love it:  "Mr. What's-His-Name...Moses...he torpedoed his own show."  Point well made.

Mr. La Roche's thoughts about NY in 1939 are quite interesting simply because they come from a Canadian point of view.  This is a very illuminating video lecture.  When he asked the guests if he could have five more minutes, all I could think is that I'd listen to his stories forever.  

Thanks Roger for the flood of memories.
How ironic .  I thought I was youngest  member of staff at 14. My mother in Montreal was some sort of high level manager for GE   at The Operations Control Centre of Expo 67 on Île Sainte-Hélène . My parents had recently divorced and my mother was putting in double hours away from home. As a result for months before and the entire 6 months she allowed me to tag along every Monday to Friday and many weekends as she went to work. I also received special permission from the school board to spend   months away from  school as long as I  completed work assignments provided by my teachers in 1967. What resulted when you hang around long enough? My mother made sure I met  every  celebrity and notable politician that toured their building. I got to meet and shake hands with people that at 14 I knew nothing about.

During those months I was tutored  by every hostess and her sister  that knew I was there to learn. I learned if you were  in the way  enough time they always had an errand to run or favor to ask of me that required I ran around EXPO. 

Work ? Well kind of but at 14 it was fun.  Started out my mother having a need to have me stay somewhere  nearby but her also putting in 40 to 60 hours per week at Expo. The building had loads of available   teaching rooms and she a desire to expose me to a world of travel without leaving Montreal. The long and short of it I lucked out, saw every pavilion  many times over and I certainly did get an education beyond what I would have received  in Deux Montagnes.

It led to a life time of loves for  technology. Letter after letter of thanks from everyone from Mayor Drapeau to one international pavilion manager after another trying to make this curious 14 year old understand what was on display. I literally became that  flamboyant ( perhaps semi obnoxious ) 14 year old more then willing to  help behind the scenes as long as I didn't get in their way.  On many occasion literally hidden off stage right watching in the wings to history in the making

My rewards?

-To this day my love of technology and large  international fairs

- A collection of  EXPO oddities ranging from decorative tiles  pinched  from outside the Iran pavilion to  all sorts of books and diaries  handed down to me over the years.
It's amazing how much stuff is out there and ready to be handed down before literal libraries of it disappear.

I even have a handwritten  note from Mayor Drapeau  insisting I spend more time studying and not be found  bothering some of his staff. ( when I got that I thought the jig was up but alas a week later  he met me in my mothers office and said be a good boy and represent Canada.... He joked I may have seen more of EXPO then he had time to experience.

I was in Montreal last July and my 94 year old mother handed over to me her treasure trove of EXPO 67  related memorabilia. She passed at the end of October and only tonight did I appreciate what I am now entrusted to hold on to. 

Thanks Roger

I now live in Orlando, Florida. The lure of Walt Disney World inevitable\y a legacy of my EXPO 67 days upbringing.

I'm thrilled this website lives on  for many of us.

The memories are  a happy reminder to a saga I almost buried out of my memories.

Nice story Allan - I completely agree with you when you say that Expo was the best University in the world for younger teens... Thanks for sharing