Sign in to follow this  
xl5er

Year 1999 AD Philco Ford Film

1967 prediction of future.

My Wink Martindale brain cell was playing possum all these years! As proud as I am for recognizing and naming him, I missed Gary Collins and the woman from the Spock's Brain Star Trek TOS.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/see-what-people-of-1967-imagined-the-world-would-be-like-in-1999

Sorry if this was posted before.

Google Year 1999 AD: the 20 min film is well known. Maybe a version on another site is more complete and has no dropouts.

If anyone can ID that singer from "down San Juan way" do tell!

This version has the end credits, but they only mention the three principals, not the singer.

Just found this post.  It is most interesting.  The "video screens" are similar to the desk top computers we all knew in 1999 and the "correspondent machine" is much like email.  Even the back-up system is similar to the idea of a hard drive.  Much of the film has obvious comparisons to life almost twenty years ago.  Alexander Scourby's voice gives the thing a "Futurama" tone and that's cool.  It's equally interesting that we don't do as much with envisioning the future a we seemed to do in the 1960s.  The idea of eating better, relying on electronics to guide our day--there's truth to much of that.  But the idealism of the predictions and the sanitation of life in a clutter free house in an idyllic setting comes right out of the 1960s.  The solo life style--almost divorced from the rest of the surrounding world--is creepy.  Men's clothing has not changed much but women are not as fortunate.  And what is that kid wearing at the beach?