Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

It's hard to comprehend how impressive this must have been in person

is the Rocket Thrower on that same site today?  It's amazing that the GW statue was not built to be permanent.

On 11/19/2016 at 8:32 PM, Bill Cotter said:

It was plaster over a wood frame, and was just broken apart after the Fair ended.

Whatta shame. I was expecting you to say that.  Plaster work is hard too, try to find someone who has skills like that these days with plaster.  Also it amazes me how it was kept in shape through 6-7 seasons and all kinds of precipitation.

Didn't we have a thread some time ago that showed the base with a plaque with an unusual spelling of one particular word?  Several of us commented on that but I believe that photo also showed grafitti on the base.

32 minutes ago, Jim said:

Didn't we have a thread some time ago that showed the base with a plaque with an unusual spelling of one particular word?  Several of us commented on that but I believe that photo also showed grafitti on the base.

Hi Jim,

Good memory. Yes, we do, or did. It showed the left side, not visible here, covered with graffiti. Probably one of Bill's. In early 1939 slides it was a very attractive creamy white, at least from a distance, but by mid 1940 the surfaces showed some wear and age. I don't remember the oddly spelled word. If it was from 1789 and copied exactly I might guess if was the "f" and "s" thing. I don't recall. And yes, Rocket Thrower, 22 feet shorter, is there today. 30 years ago you could still sort of see the tiers where George stood. I think they are gone now.

Eric

Here's the 2014 thread that contains Bill's posted photo of the base of the Washington statue with graffiti covering its base. 

And here's Bill's photo for ease of viewing in this thread.

woman-washington-statue.jpg

Eric, the unusual word is "intrusted."  I thought it was an amazing typo but, as it turns out, it is not.  The word is acceptable as intrusted or entrusted.  And the tiers of the GW statue were still there during the 1964-65 Fair and after?  Did they, somehow, support Rocket Thrower?  Incredible.  

Jim

Note that George seems to be looking down at the visitors rather than staring off into space. Cool!  I would guess that a beautiful statue like that will never be erected again, now that our founders have been vilified.  I'm glad I grew up with heros like those freedom fighters, Christopher Columbus, and Dick, Jane and Sally!

• Like 1

What I appreciate with Doug's comment are the words

Sacred Fire of Liberty

and

Republican Model of Government

Both those phrases seem to be muddied and forgotten.