Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

CBS Sunday Morning this weekend

CBS Sunday Morning is doing a piece that includes the Borden pavilion at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. I supplied a picture for it - and here's a sneak preview!

borden.jpg

I'm set to record it.

I just watched it. They used some movie footage and a lot of stills with camera zooms.  It was the Almanac segment, dating back to the debut of the "Rotolactor," a carousel of milking machines, on November 13, 1930; it was subsequently displayed at the 1939 Fair. One thing I didn't know is that there was no live representative of Elsie the Borden cow until people at the Fair asked which one was her. A Jersey from the exhibit (named "You'll Do, Lobelia" ) was pressed into service as Elsie.

Thank you Wayne.

Couple Borden memories.

I remember my Scout troop took a field trip to the Rotolactor in Jersey. 

And I remember an incident at the Better Living Center when some little wiseguy was heckling Elsie for drooling. He acted like James Dean at the Griffith Observatory. She was on a stage and I was on a small seating tier in a dark room where they had some forgotten narration and poorly attended show. 

I thought I was, I mean, that little punk, thought he was being clever. "Your nose is running!" A couple older guys down the bench gestured to each other wondering who does that kid think he is?