A list of road improvements?

This is like decrypting a Mayan calendar. Without the human sacrifice.

If there is another unseen black dot offscreen to the right, where the Grand Central intersects the Clearview, I-295 from Throggs Neck, then I would say the numbers denote the 6 green road segments between the dots. But to what end? They're not even numbered "adjacently" but seem scattered.

The major highway routes turn green as they approach the Fair with the glaring exception of the LIE which runs right through the middle. What's different about the LIE? No direct exits to Fair? I assume, unlike the Southern State, trucks were allowed on all these highways.

Maybe the numbers refer to a key providing detailed weight restrictions and overpass height limitations for transport of heavy and bulky non routine building materials directly to the work sites, or the waiving of or need for special permits.

Say you're delivering Unisphere satellite tracks from Pittsburgh or giant cheeses from Wisconsin or dinosaurs from the Jurassic. You'd find the number of your truck's approach route and the key would provide a local map listing exits, street names and directions to the various Fair vehicle entrances allowing you to choose the best legal route to drive your load to your destination pavilion.

The two subway lines have small black dots which I at first thought denoted the Fair stations, Willets Pt on the IRT and Forest Hills on the IND, with the white circles along the routes representing the other stations. But the white circles are regularly spaced and there are no stations between Willets Pt and the terminus, Flushing, yet there are two white cirlces on that segment. What do the white circles mean?

The LIRR also has a black dot at the Fair, and shares the regularly spaced white circles with the subways, New Haven and NY Central lines. Okay, so the white circles distinguish train lines. So what? Why depict them at all? Especially way off in Manhattan.

There is a labeled arrow to New York International Airport not using the name Idyllwild. 

Grand Central Parkway is not labeled.

Maybe human sacrifice is not a bad idea.

My guess: the white circles are simply a way of distinguishing subways from highways, per a legend which is not in the picture. 

Couldn't the numbers be an indication of order of work?

If these were subway stops wouldn't those stops exist today?  It's a strange map, in part, because the fairgrounds appears to be irregularly shaped.  It looks nothing like what we know became the Fair.

Maybe if we connect the dots the mystery will be solved.

See post below.

Well, just like a treasure map, you need a decoder ring.

And I found it.  (In the archives of this forum and Wayne's guess was correct)

The map is for proposed roadway improvements dated 1960 for the upcoming World's Fair.

Here is the map followed by the key:

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:33 AM, Bill Cotter said:

transport-routes.jpg

3.jpg.0d992687826008369fb1a7547eeb77be.jpg

4.png.9ad271e385fe4f6504823687ce61d3ea.png

Mystery solved.

Also, I believe the white dots on the subway lines do not represent stops, they are just a graphic indication of a subway, instead of some other device like a dotted line.