Sign in to follow this  
xl5er

Penultimate HoJo Closure

For years this was the only one left that was still a Hojo restaurant attached to a Hojo "Motor Lodge" so even with Lake George still going strong, it's the end of an era in that respect.     

For what it's worth, I live in a town that still has a functioning Howard Johnson's motel.  It's in Norwich, NY.  The restaurant closed years ago but the motel is hanging on under that name.  And hanging on is the operative phrase.  The rumor is that it will be bought out by Best Western and that will be the end of the story.

The motel chain continues to exist albeit as a low-budget one.     The motels and restaurants were basically split off from each other when the corporation was sold in the mid-80s and the restaurant owners had to independently maintain the HJ brand themselves.    By the mid-90s most of them were unable to do that any longer and that's when all the remaining restaurants across the country, even those still connected to an HJ motel, began to close or changed hands and were rebranded.

Sad news. I try to get to the Lake George one if I'm anywhere near the area, and hope they are able to keep it going. I know it had closed for a while, so let's all think good thoughts for them.