Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Sermons from Science pavilion construction

George Speake does the famous Million Volts demonstration that was the signature part of Sermons From Science on the July 22, 1959 broadcast of "I've Got A Secret".   This is how it would have looked to Fairgoers in Seattle and New York.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr5436p5u2dsn37/1959-George Speake on I've Got A Secret.mp4?dl=0

• Like 1

They were also at NY in 64-65, as you mentioned, and at Expo 67, and Expo 74. I may have missed some others, but they had quite a run. I'll pass on trying to recreate that trick, thanks.

My dad was the Commissioner of SFS in Expo 67, and consulted with the folks who ran the Spokane pavilion in 1974.

Edited by Beeceemark
Forgot Spokane was in 1974

They'd even been at San Francisco in 1939.    The program still exists today as "Wonders Of Science" though they ended their affiliation with Moody Bible Institute in 2001.      

5 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

They were also at NY in 64-65, as you mentioned, and at Expo 67, and Expo 74. I may have missed some others, but they had quite a run. I'll pass on trying to recreate that trick, thanks.

I kept waiting for a spark to jump to Garry Moore's microphone.

I wasn't sure about HemisFair. Thanks for clarifying that. I do have a shot of the demos underway in my new Expo 74 book, so I got that one covered, and there's an exterior view in the Expo 67 one that will be out shortly. I'll have to see what I may have in the files for HemisFair.