Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Let's visit the Lake Mall, shall we?

Here's a view I can't recall before. This street was called Lake Mall, taken towards Meadow Lake Promenade. Take a look at the unusual street sign mounting!

lake-mall-1.jpg

lake-mall-2.jpg

• Like 1

One of the few shots of the entrance to the "Dancing Waters" Pavilion in the background.

I still trying to figure out the "vertical" signage on the pole.  Did it fall over or something?

If I'm oriented correclty, that Kodak Picture Spot is suggesting a shot of the outside of the Amphitheater (?)

That really looks like a crew was dispatched to fix a broken sign, found the pole was broken, and just installed the sign on the closest lamppost.

The multi level expressway in the background certainly speaks volumes about the overall ambience (or lack thereof) of the Amusement Zone in 1964.  I've been to rural county fairs with more charm than we see in this rather chaotic scene.

What is the date on the photo?  People are wearing sweaters and jackets.  Maybe it was the final weeks of 1965 and Fair crew had begun the process of throwing in the towel and just let the sign dangle there.  The ticket booth to the dancing waters looks like it was swiped from the East Cheesecake County Fair held every year at Elk Snout, Nebraska.

I'll still never quite understand finally getting to a world's fair, ANY world's fair, and then hanging in what amounts to the carnival section.  Chicago in 1893 had the first Midway and it held some remarkable charms from the Ferris Wheel to native villages to hoochee coochee dancers.  I get the appeal of that particular amusement area just as I understand the allure of the 1939 NY Amusement Zone  (Hey, there was a  naked woman frozen in a block of ice for god's sake) but why plan a trip and devote time to carnival rides you  could easily  find at any amusement park or state fair?  With all of the once-in-a-lifetime experiences across the fairgrounds what is the appeal of bumper cars?  On top of that, the pavilions with their spectacular shows and rides were FREE.

• Like 1