Sign in to follow this  
EDDIE1957

Mystery Garbage Can

This garbage can was found down in the NYS Pavilion/sky streak elevator motor room . Can't figure out why someone would haul a heavy metal can like this down there except if it came from the pavilion and someone wanted to stash it away. It was put in an area not accessible directly from the outside.  Any ideas?? There are no markings on it.  

garbage can.jpg

Well, it's certainly not the standard WF pail we are used to seeing. I'm guessing from sometime after the fair.

speaking of garbage cans, when TOMORROWLAND crew recreated NYWF on the University of BC campus in Vancouver a few years ago, they created the familiar light gray or beige coloured garbage cans with the WF logo on it.  Looked awesome.  I really wanted to take one home!  Will try to find a pic of this.

http://yvrshoots.com/2013/08/set-tomorrowlands-hall-of-invention-at-the-h-r-macmillan-space-centre.html

If I correctly follow this thread, that film is creating a fictional Hall of Invention pavilion from the 1964 NYWF for a film.  This is too often what happens to actual history.  It becomes fantasized and the result becomes reality or, at the least, some sort of urban legend.  With all of the computer power of digital recreation today, it's unfortunate that scenes of an actual pavilion (GM comes to mind) were not used.  

I would have thought someone might have just wanted to drop it down the shaft but the can is in excellent condition and was found tucked away in a corner away from openings above. Also,if the can was nearby to drop/ hide away- then it came from the immediate vicinity (NYSP) because  It's too heavy to drag from the park grounds to the shaft. So, my thought is could it have come from the VIP area? The generally used can was more for fair goers bulk garbage and this can is more "refined" like for a VIP area. Bill, would you have any pictures from inside the VIP area??  

How big is it? Looks to me like a run-of-the-mill wire mesh can of the type used since forever in outdoor public places.

The can stands  3 feet and if you look closer its not the run of the mill wire mesh but it strongly resembles wicker. Thats why the top half radial pieces are unevenly spaced so it looks like wicker banding. The bottom half also resembles wicker with little waves made to resemble wicker bands.  The top half is offset from the bottom which makes for an easy throw into the can but the overall design doesn't work well containing general public garbage. You  cant fit a bag evenly in it from the bottom up to the top. The can is solid nothing loose. If the can was dropped, it would have dented.  If this was an after fair can,where are the others?? This is the only one like this I have seen anywhere. It's still puzzling.....

PAV CAN.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. I was assuming the offset was damage rather than design.  I still feel like I've seen that woven technique and the way the main struts are bent over the top before - but never an offset.

It's hard to believe they built it with that angle. Are you sure it wasn't the result of some damage? I've never seen any others like it.

the can is perfectly round no damage its well built and solid

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pictures from inside the VIP tower may have this spotted in a corner . But as you say I've never seen a can like this either so that may be the reason someone put it down there in a safe spot.  It may be from the towers but it's going to take some digging and unfortunately there are no markings on it