Bill Cotter

A different angle on Futurama II

Awesome...where do I find more pics of this exhibit?

Bill I'd love to see more like that! 

I have seen engineering manuals of how the ride itself worked, but I'd love to see how the dioramas worked! Like those slots on the roads for instance. Miniature vehicles moved along them. How did they build all that machinery from scratch? Or did they adapt some pre-existing moving belt industrial technology to this application?

Some long to explore hidden voids in Egyptian pyramids and discover historical treasures of the Pharos . All I wanted was to go behind the scenes in Futurama. Historical treasures of Norman Bel Geddes. 

• Like 1

I have the GM engineering journal articles they published on Futurama II. I'll see if I can find them and get them scanned soon.

Thanks for posting that, George. 

Interesting to see they explicitly state the purpose of the Avenue of Progress after the ride was to "lend credence" to the predictions seen in the Futurama environments. I don't know if I was aware of that at the time.

Does anyone remember the "orientation" part of the ride? The pdf implies there was such, but maybe they're just referring to the narration script. All I remember are the dioramas.

i wish I could recall what it was like to see Futurama for the first time. I may have caught glimpses in news reports, and there were probably promos and TV specials I've forgotten. But I can just imagine my reaction to coming out of a dark tunnel and seeing each of those sets in person.

I'll tell you, I had one heck of a childhood. I was 6 yrs old in 1963 when I became aware of the NYWF being built. Then I lived through two years of excitement with that thing only a quick subway ride away through '65.

But even as I watched the pavilions come down, like a stepping stone Expo '67 loomed on the horizon and took me to 10 years old.

Shortly after that, rumors of something equally magical being built in the middle of Florida, with a monorail running through a futuristic hotel, sustained me into high school in 1971. Then, girls, and that was the end of that.

4 hours ago, SpaceAgeGuy said:

George, please post in the thread which CD these scans are in. It will definitely be a keeper.

If you meant this for me, this and some other new GM images aren't on a CD yet as I'm still restoring material for an update.