Sign in to follow this  
xl5er

Meet the Middletons Stills at Lileks.com

That's great stuff.  While the film makes one wonder if the Middletons ever saw anything other than the Westinghouse Pavilion, it's a wonderful period piece.  It captures the hope that The Greatest Generation had for this nation in 1939.  Those families had not fully recovered from the Depression and for the kids, it may have been all they ever knew of life.  Then along came this fair and their curiosity, ambition, hope and boundless enthusiasm for a better tomorrow just bubbled over.  And we can actually feel it in this film and it even jumps off the pages of the comic book version.  As tough as those time were (and they were going to get a whole lot more difficult in just another year or two) it must have been an endlessly fascinating time to be alive.

I agree, Jim, a fascinating and difficult couple of decades.  My parents were born in 1915 so in their first 30 years they lived through two world wars and a 10+ year depression. Makes our times seem like a cake walk.

Until she died in 2008, my mother always used scrap paper and cancelled postal envelopes to write lists, notes and messages. When I got older, I realized that it was a behavior fostered by the no-waste mentality of the depression and war years. 

Wow that behavior is so ingrained I forget that i do the same thing. Now they have fancy words for it like "repurposing" but if I have a list or some scratch arithmetic to scribble I will unfailingly and unconsciously reach for the used envelope and not the fresh Post-It pad. My non-fancy word(s) for it is "making do."