Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Night comes to the Fair

I absolutely, vividly recall walking out of the Churchill exhibit on a warm Labor Day evening in 1965 at about the same time we see in that photograph.  It  was warm, slightly humid and the sights, sounds and smells of the Fair were everywhere.  It was still summer but there was that slight hint of the coming autumn.  I cannot quite explain it but I remember it as if it happened yesterday.  It was our last day at the Fair.  I was also very aware, as we exited that building into the warm evening air, the the Fair was going to close and all that I could see around me was going to disappear.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

I absolutely, vividly recall walking out of the Churchill exhibit on a warm Labor Day evening about the same time we see in that photograph.  It  was warm, slightly humid and the sights, sounds and smells of the Fair were everywhere.  It was still summer but there was that slight hint of the coming autumn.  I cannot quite explain it but I remember it as if it happened yesterday.  It was our last day at the Fair.  I was also very aware, as we exited that building into the warm evening air, the the Fair was going to close and all that I could see around me was going to disappear.

Nicely said

• Like 1

Beautifully said.  It reminds me of my experience at Expo 67.  But then we were blessed with a few more years of it winding down.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2016 at 1:58 PM, icedstitch said:

Yea, the magical blue hour.

I wasn't born for either of those fairs.  I got my magic from the mid 80's EPCOT Center.

Wish i was there.

Yes...it is "l'heure bleue, the blue hour, the magic hour... crepuscule, twilight... the hour between daylight and night when the sky's luminosity draws artists out of their studios to see light's last glimmerings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_hour

Hi Ned,

Thanks. I saw that online some years ago. It is very nice - 1939 from the lighting and Westinghouse tower. The allure of the Power Zone is evident. I also love those streaks - they really balance and anchor the composition.

Eric

2 hours ago, Ned Merrill said:

Hold on....do I see wires holding up the Trylon? 

No, just a huge level of jpg coding artifacts - hard to say how many generations of manipulation (down rez, coding, up rez, recoding) this image may have been through.