Sign in to follow this  
Batgurrl

Seattle World's Fair Slides Found

Hi all -  I found a treasure trove of 35mm slides of the Seattle Worlds Fair.  I picked through them and had them digitized for on-line viewing at my blog "When the World was Fair".   They included other Seattle sites of interest from the 1960s as well.

Here is a link to a post that will give you access to the entire album.  http://wp.me/p59KKh-6D  The slides had a group taken in January 1963 after the fair that I have written an article about.  Seems rare to see the after shots since all the excitement is over at that point.  The link above will also lead you to that posting.

Enjoy!!

74698015-SLD-002-0019.jpg

74698015-SLD-001-0002.jpg

Wonderful shots.  It's interesting to learn how much of the Fair was still standing and basically untouched nearly three months after it ended.

Jim - the city saved all the major.buildings and made a civic center out of the fairgrounds.  Some buildings to mention are the Space Needle (of course), the US Science Pavilion, the Food Circus (Armory), the WA St Pavilion (was Coliseum & now Key Arena), the NW Rooms which were Canada, the Art Pavilion which is the Exhibition Hall and the Intl Fountain.   Some others have been remodeled  or repurposed.   See lots still around for us to enjoy and use for festivals, shows and just some green space.

Yes, I know Seattle planned its fair very well an enhanced its civic life for decades afterward.  Those photos, however, seem to contain many of the smaller exhibits months after the Fair closed.  That's rather cool.

Yep, I agree; you do have a treasure.  Thank you for sharing them with us.