leej07

Antique Show Find

7 posts in this topic

Found this spoon at an antique show yesterday. One of the most ornate I've ever seen. Really gorgeous, and so far my first ever item from the 1901 Pan American Expo.

HNI_0033.JPG

I, too, collect Pan American Exposition treasures.  You have a wonderful piece there.  Am I correct that the Electric Tower is depicted on the lower part of the spoon?

It is indeed the Electric Tower. The spoon does not have the name of the fair or the year anywhere on it, but it does say Buffalo underneath the depiction of the Tower.

There is a web site (panam1901.org) that may be the definitive study of that exposition.  I think that the spoon may have been made by United States Silver Company.  They made several styles of spoons using the  Native American chief on the handle as we see in this photograph.  Is there anything on the other side of that handle (an image of Niagara Falls perhaps)?  

The reverse side of the handle depicts a highly detailed rear view of the Native American Chief, which frankly amazes me with its detail. I'm trying to find a way to get a more clear picture of it.

If it appears to be silver, it was probably made by USSC.  Some spoons had the words, "Pan American Exposition."  But some did not.  A powerful magnifier would help spotting that detail.

Just as an aside on the 'powerful magnifier' suggestion-- there are some really nice free apps now for smartphones- both iPhone and Android- that are magnifiers.  Only limited by the digital "x" power zoom-in capability of your built-in camera.  Some also work in conjunction with the camera's flash if you want some extra light, and work with the camera's auto-focus as well.

At the highest power the biggest challenge is holding it steady (if you have a small stand of some kind, that helps).

I use it to check the dates and markings on coins.

On some of them, the app is also tied to your camera settings so if you get it focused in and like what you see, taking a picture of it is just a button push.