Hello,

I have a wonderful souvenir that I CANNOT get any information about!  Any help would be so appreciated.

I have a machine embroidered clothing patch from the 1933 Chicago World's Fair.  I have not been able to identify what they would have been used for.  My first thought was employee or Fair Police, but I cannot find any photos or information identifying it as such.

It measures 4" across and is machine embroidered on felt.  As can be seen in the photos, it was originally part of a larger piece containing additional patches.  It is uncut and never sewn.

Thank you so much for any help!

Julie

WAYNEBRETL - I'm not sure how to reply to your post, so I will just edit my original post with information.  I purchased this from an antique dealer who was not able to tell me anything more about it.  Having worked in textiles for many years, the appearance of this patch, both the front and the reverse, does date it to the 1930s.  

patch.jpg

patch1.jpg

1) I am not an expert on this.

2) I'm sure it would help a lot if you said how you obtained this.

3) It seems very plain to me, and has no design features that would connect it to the 1933 fair except for the words themselves, which leads me to wonder if it is vintage or just a modern creation. 

4) Just my thoughts - I am not an expert!

Hi, Julie, thanks for joining us. I looked through my files of police uniforms from the Fair and I couldn't spot any patches on them. They had metal badges but nothing I could spot on the shoulders, etc. It's probably a souvenir item but could be from another type of uniform.

The system is set to only let new users post one message per day at first to help control spam attacks. That's why you didn't see a reply option.

Nice piece, thanks for sharing it with us!

Hello,

I found some fabric patches visible here:

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/uic_cop/id/1365

And in color here:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Historical-Memorabilia/Chicago-1933-1934-Century-of-Progress-Dollar-Club/td-p/1459084

On the other hand, the font seems wrong for an Official Souvenir (the date esp), the missing "A Century of Progress" or some such, and more importantly, the lack of an apostrophe indicates to me this is some sort of souvenir made on a small scale.

Eric

Any conjecture as to what the odd shape represents?  The state of Illinois is not shaped like that, and neither is Meigs Island/peninsula.

Or maybe it's just a rough cut-out  from some kind of uniform and the shape has no meaning.

On 1/6/2016 at 0:06 PM, Randy Treadway said:

Any conjecture as to what the odd shape represents?  The state of Illinois is not shaped like that, and neither is Meigs Island/peninsula.

Or maybe it's just a rough cut-out  from some kind of uniform and the shape has no meaning.

Randy, the odd shape is only the background fabric sheet with circular cutouts where other copies were sewn and removed. The badge itself is just the circular part including the blue.

Hello All,

The fact it is on felt and not fabric suggest something. Souvenirish and perhaps not mass produced.The lack of apostrophe means much to me. 

Eric