xl5er

Found NYC Photos 1964 Queens Museum

Nothing spectacular here for me but some PTU historians may find interesting details:

"When Frank Larson died on a visit to New York City to see the World’s Fair 1964, he left behind thousands of negatives. Working as an auditor in Queens, Frank would take a break from the daily grind to photograph the streets as he walked the world’s most vibrant city. In 2014, the widow of Frank’s younger of two sons found “the family shutterbug’s” treasure trove in her attic. Her son Soren Larson developed some of the negatives, and brought them to the Queens Museum of Art, where they are currently on show."

http://flashbak.com/great-photos-of-mid-century-midtown-new-york-city-found-50-years-later-48785/

Very interesting. From the samples he was a very good photographer. I hope he got to see some of the Fair. It's great that his stuff lives on and wasn't just dumped or dispersed all over the place. Thanks for sharing it.

Wow.  Mr. Larson had a wonderful eye.  There are some very artistic shots in that selection.  It is so fortunate that these photographs have been saved.  I there any chance of seeing more of them?

The factlet that he died on a visit to NYC to see the 1964 Fair is puzzling if he lived and worked there, irrelevant, and, since the photos are not from 1964, misleading. "A Star is Born," the movie advertised in one of his Times Square photos, is from 1954. 

So I don't know what the blurb writer was thinking. But I can guess...

Walking around a ladder blocking a CVS entrance this morning I joked to the twenty something workman if he was daring me to walk underneath. He looked concerned and confused. Turned out he never heard that walking under a ladder is bad luck.

Separately I heard young girls not knowing what the expression "put on a back burner" meant.

I'm concluding that many young people know nothing prior to their own experience and to them the past is one swirling pastiche conflating World's Fairs with World Wars in which the Flintstones celebrating Christ's birth is a reality show offering no chronological challenges.

These people are today's writers.

• Like 3

One shot shows the Hudson Theater which in 1954 was where the "Tonight Show" debuted hosted by Steve Allen (Jack Paar began there I think before moving into 30 Rock during his run).    The sign in front plugs "The Kate Smith Hour" which was an afternoon show that ran from 1950 to 1954.

22 hours ago, Eric Paddon said:

One shot shows the Hudson Theater which in 1954 was where the "Tonight Show" debuted hosted by Steve Allen (Jack Paar began there I think before moving into 30 Rock during his run).    The sign in front plugs "The Kate Smith Hour" which was an afternoon show that ran from 1950 to 1954.

More on NBC Hudson here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.653546891349530.1073741884.189359747768249&type=3

• Like 1