Sign in to follow this  
Mary Ellen

I found another one!

In my continuing quest to locate all 1,500 WF decorative street lights I have found another.

Location: Lake Ann Country Club (don't get too excited its very run down) Blooming Grove, New York.

Apparantly at one time they had dozens of them. What you see is the only remaining lamp by the road. However, there is a HUGE pile of debris on the site and I bet there are plenty buried in there.

<a href="http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1011178/lakeann.JPG" target="_blank">http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1011178/lakeann.JPG</a>

WOW! Mary Ellen - I know Lake Ann. In my younger days in Monroe there was some kind of lodge/bar we occasionally went to up there. Kind of a dump as I remember. Never would have thought a NYWF light would end up there!

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Klug (edited 10-14-2000).]

Mary Ellen-

I have fancied myself a bit of a WF Detective. But it seems the Inspector General

is you. I love how you ferret this stuff out!

-Richard Post

The funny thing about the leads I get is that they generally come from people that I know. Whenever I bring up the World's Fair in a conversation it is amazing how many people went or were involved in it in some way.

For instance, I recently mentioned the Irish Pavilion to someone. I told them I heard that it was located on 57th St. in NYC. They told me that it is not located in NYC but is on Long Island. They also told me that the single family dwellings that were at the fair were also moved to Long Island.

More sleuthing ahead!

Single family houses were not built on the Fair grounds and moved to Long Island. There was a tie in to the Fair with a company that was building homes advertised as homes of the future. These houses were built on Long Island, houses from the 1933 Fair of Chicago were built on the Fair grounds in Chicago and moved north to a lake front area, many are still there.

Hoodlock:

Any info on the Company name of the Contractor that built those homes of the future?

I know there are some LI homes with the Trylon & Perisphere on there front doors. I don't know there history though.

Mary Ellen,

The Houses were called Leisurama Houses. Leisurama North was to be built in Montauk on Long Island; Leisurama South was to be built in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Designed by Raymond Loewy/William Snaith Inc. for the All-State Properties Inc. Models of the two houses were to be on display at the Fair. Their location was to be on the Court of the Moon between Dynamic Maturity and Coca-Cola. The model houses were never built and I don’t know if the others were completed.

Hi from Los Angeles. When growing up a mile or so from the Fair, I marvelled at those futuristic looking, wonderfully colored lights set up throughout the grounds. I, too, have been looking for one (who knows, maybe a couple ended up on the west coast!).

I remember seeing a stand that somebody had set up in a vacant lot across from the LIE, right near the old Alexander's in Rego Park, in which he was actually selling the lights. It was right after the fair had closed. I can see the sign as plain as day -- WORLDS FAIR LIGHTS. I was too young to buy one, though. Eeek! If only.....

Anyway, if anybody happens to know of any that might be available -- maybe the Orange County Fair will replace them -- please let me know. Thanks, John

Mary Ellen - great job! Ya know, I can't be certain (it's been so long) - but I think I recall a place in NY state called "Sterling Forest" (it's also the name of the town) that was a popular place to visit to view fantastic gardens, I think a zoo, etc. I mention it because I think I recall seeing light poles similar to those used at the Worlds Fair - wish I was close enough but I think it's been closed down a long time.

Rick

Sterling Forest was recently incorporated into the State Park system. Up till now it has been a private skiing area and in the summer the site of a popular "Rennaisance Faire". If any NYWF stuff found its way there it might still be in place.

There are no WF lights near the Renaissance Fair area or ski of Sterling Forest. I drive by there frequently. I don't know about other areas. I will check it out.

There is also a Sterling, NY, near Fair Haven State Park on Lake Ontario. It is about 20 miles north of Syracuse. There is a Renaisance Fair held there each summer, as well, and I wonder if that could be the Sterling that might have some NYWF light fixtures. I believe the same people sponsor both Ren. Fairs each summer. Just a thought.

WOW this post just jogged a memory, I remember seeing this also as a kid. Then one day they were all gone.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>

I remember seeing a stand that somebody had set up in a vacant lot across from the LIE, right near the old Alexander's in Rego Park, in which he was actually selling the lights. It was right after the fair had closed. I can see the sign as plain as day -- WORLDS FAIR LIGHTS. I was too young to buy one, though. Eeek! If only.....

Anyway, if anybody happens to know of any that might be available -- maybe the Orange County Fair will replace them -- please let me know. Thanks, John<HR></blockquote>

WoW!

I know that area (lot). Never actually saw the seller of lights But get a wonderful mental picture!

I enjoy how new friends to PTU (like Chmnofbrd is doing)go through our bb archives and revive some good ol' threads!

In FMCP park, where Ford was, in the 1970's, I recall the fenced off area being a store yard for many NYWF info booths, kiosks, countless of those 'hooded' trash cans and a few cubic lights on thier sides.

I keep getting a "file not found" error when I try that link.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mary Ellen:

In my continuing quest to locate all 1,500 WF decorative street lights I have found another.

Location: Lake Ann Country Club (don't get too excited its very run down) Blooming Grove, New York.

Apparantly at one time they had dozens of them. What you see is the only remaining lamp by the road. However, there is a HUGE pile of debris on the site and I bet there are plenty buried in there.

<a href="http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1011178/lakeann.JPG" target="_blank">http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1011178/lakeann.JPG</a> <HR></blockquote>

Any follow-up sleuthing yet on the purported Irish Pavilion on Long Island?

Also, who is planning a SIP "field trip" (bring your pail & shovel) to go "light-digging" (kind of like clam digging) at that big debris pile at Lake Ann?

A "finders keepers" excursion (assuming the current property owner could care less) might be pretty attractive!

Rough shape. Too bad.

Looks like a real classy country club!

Actually looks more like a sign for a V.F.W. or other honky tonk.

Then again... they DID have the good taste to have World's Fair luminaires!!!

[This message has been edited by DougSeed (edited 08-23-2003).]