Sign in to follow this  
1964 NYWF Forever

50th Anniversary of Demolition!

Hello Everyone:

I thought there would be a lot of discussion over the weekend since Saturday was the 50th anniversary of the last day of the 1964-65 New York World's Fair.  I wanted to post but couldn't get my mobile device to cooperate, and didn't have access to my PC.  It seems rather sad to think that 50 years ago today, the second day of demolition was underway for the Fair.  Like so many others, it seems so crazy to think that literally years of planning went into the fair, and so much money (approximately 7-8 billion in today's money) that was spent on construction of some very elaborate pavilions, only to violently tear it all down when everything was essentially new!!!  It would have been nice if a third season could have taken place- perhaps a profit could have been turned by then.  It all seems so wasteful in the end, since so little was actually salvaged, and most of it ended up in landfills!!!  I was only a year and a half old when the fair ended, but would give anything if I could go back and see it all, if only for just one day.  I feel that the 1960's was the last of the true optimistic spirit our country had, and once the 60's ended, it seems to have all gone down hill. 

I would like to hear from others about your thoughts on the fairs closing, and what you would have done differently than what Moses and the Fair's Board of Directors did that caused it to end as a financial disaster.

Thanks!!

Ronald

It was a sad time indeed Ronald.I remember going to visit my  aunt and uncle who lived in a high rise apartment on one of the upper floors shortly after the fair closed.I could see the demolition progressing from his window.There was nothing I could do as a 17 year old to stop it.I would have loved for the fair to continue but,as with all money losing ventures it has to come to an end.

IMG_0686.thumb.JPG.d11a7be9ffb17d7928ae0The NYS Pavilion Paint Crew along with Open House NY held an open house for the Tent of Tomorrow.Between Saturday and Sunday 1,180 visitors came. This coinsided with the anniversary of the closing of the fair.  

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

Sorry for the sideways picture...any here's some more stuff from the weekendIMG_0686.thumb.JPG.6df7f3b53fd77468affed

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Edited by EDDIE1957
turn picture around

I passed the park Saturday on my way late to Stony Brook and was wondering if there were any closing activities going on this weekend. Thank you for sharing the photos. The yellow crown on the tent of tomorrow looks great from the highway!

I was away at a wedding in Maryland this past weekend and I wondered if something was going on at the park. Thanks to Johnny and the rest of the guys for marking the day, I wished I could have been there with you. Steve 

I thought about my Fair memories all day on Saturday as I recalled the closing day so long ago.  I had  friend who did attend the Fair on October 17, 1965, and recalled it was so crowded she could not even get near the Unisphere.  The photographs verify this fact. 

I loved the Fair.  I agree, turning a profit was not going to happen in two years.  How many fairs have ever turned a profit?  This reality is a big reason why there has never been another big US fair.  And other than Expo 67 and Expo 86, no other big fairs in North America.  I am so fortunate to have seen both the NYWF and Expo 67.  The thought of both of them facing demolition has always bothered me.  

This is the first time I noticed they painted the ring!  WOW, it looks great.

The artifacts displayed in the 4th photo are presumably original. Could someone ID them all please? Also, does anyone know if there are any original, intact roof panels in existence?

1. panel with buttons was the sky streak elevator control complete with the operators phone

2.4 various light fixtures used inside the pavilion

3.green light-was mounted on the front of the sky streak elevator

4.Blue globe- a plastic replacement for the glass one and was used on the WIZ movie.

5. The yellow lollypop -you can see the complete ones in the first picture above the mezz.sign and lights were installed in these. 

forgot to mention the aluminum frame items were used to hold ceiling tiles together on the towers and as far as the colored panels,they exist in private collections which is the brownish piece in the picture

4.Blue globe- a plastic replacement for the glass one and was used on the WIZ movie

Nope, that is not correct. The producer had purchased the same type of glass blue globe, that was to the original. After production and filming, all modifications and changes to the structure, which costs over $1 million, was offered to the Park's Department--free of charge. It was refused and many of these glass globes were destroyed.

The plastic globe that is shown is from the art exhibit that was done to the towers a few years back.

The "can" light is from QTIP--outside the rotunda, which highlighted the NYSP NYS circular signs.

The "round white hanging" fixture is from the pavilion's HVAC maintenance room areas. The other two are from the rest rooms.