BLAISTOM

Last week of the fair.

Well.   Lets go back 50 years to this day.  This is the last week of the fair.    This next Sunday it will be over. October 17.     And then the sad  demo will start..

I've been thinking of those final days for each fair.   The 1940 Fair had 550,000 on the final day and the 1965 fair had 460,000 on its final day.  I can only begin to imagine those numbers.  In the space of four seasons nearly one hundred million people walked the grounds of FMCP.  I still remember the shots taken on October 17, 1965--crowds so deep one could barely reach the Unisphere and the avenues nearly overwhelmed with humanity.  The final nights must have been so bittersweet.

I was there on Oct 16th 1965.It was both a wonderful  and sad experience as Jim stated. I always held the hope that New York would host another fair but, it was not to be.

Sonny, would you share some of what you remember from that day?  What were the crowds like on the 16th?  Was it remotely possible to get into the pavilions or was it more of a last walk through by New Yorkers who finally realized how wonderful it all was?

Don't forget we have the last day (maybe last minute) videotape of visitors to the RCA pavilion:

Sonny, would you share some of what you remember from that day?  What were the crowds like on the 16th?  Was it remotely possible to get into the pavilions or was it more of a last walk through by New Yorkers who finally realized how wonderful it all was?

I went with a dozen or so friends. I was 16 at the time .It was packed with people but, we didn`t notice or care. The following day was the one in which over 450,000 attended for the last day. I don`t know the attendance on  the 16th .It was a Saturday .The major pavilions like G.M.,Ford , and G.E had long lines but, because that`s what we came to see my friends and I would wait no matter how long it took.The reason there were so many of us was because it was a camp reunion..

Holy crap. That video has a bit of revealing information on it.   Did you see the woman in the overcoat and head scarf and the woman behind her packing those chrysanthemums?  I'll bet they had just uprooted those things before wandering into the RCA  building.  We should call the cops before the statute of limitations runs out on world's fair looting.

And the scene of the woman attempting to put a cigarette into that guy's ear is just strange.

Edited by Jim

Holy crap. That video has a bit of revealing information on it.   Did you see the woman in the overcoat and head scarf and the woman behind her packing those chrysanthemums?  I'll bet they had just uprooted those things before wandering into the RCA  building.  We should call the cops before the statute of limitations runs out on world's fair looting.

And the scene of the woman attempting to put a cigarette into that guy's ear is just strange.

We discussed the flowers - we think they were purchased (note the plastic wrap).

Sorry, I was unaware there had been a discussion.  Nevertheless, the first woman does not appear to have any plastic wrap on those mums.  And they appear to be rather ragged and not a "store perfect" purchase.  Just an observation.  The second one has plastic wrap but having worked in a garden shop for many summers and weekends while I was full time teaching, I can tell you that mums are not wrapped in that manner.  They are generally not wrapped at all and were never wrapped in the shop where I worked and that place sold thousands of mum plants.  They are sold in large pots and those women do not appear to be carrying pots of flowers but just the plants.  And mums are not sold as loose plants.  They do not survive in arrangements or out of the pot more than an hour or two.  I think those things were uprooted.

In that discussion, was it ever speculated who might have been selling mums or why?  

Edited by Jim

Well, that certainly could be, but chrysanthemums are not sold in cut form.  They don't last more than an hour out of their container.  They don't work in arrangements.  They are sold in pots.  Even the so-called "hardy mums" are misnamed.  They are a fragile plant that exists in the container in which it's planted, raised and sold or is planted in a garden directly from the pot.  In any other form it won't make it home in the car.  The pots, themselves, may be foiled with something decorative when the plant is presented as a gift.  But mums are not generally encased in any plastic wrap simply because it is too easy to damage the stems of the plant when removing the plastic.  In addition, in NYS, garden shops have serious state restrictions on how mums are grown, which varieties may be grown, how the seedlings are obtained and how they are sold.  I have no idea what the rules were in 1965, but the plant, itself, has not changed in all these decades.  It was fragile then as it is today.

I wish I had seen the original discussion and I won't belabor the point or post my thoughts about mums again. 

However, unless those women have flower pots hidden under their coats, those mums have been uprooted and removed from somewhere.

Edited by Jim

On 10/12/2015, 4:05:38, SonnyTFox said:

I was there on Oct 16th 1965.It was both a wonderful  and sad experience as Jim stated. I always held the hope that New York would host another fair but, it was not to be.

Yep, me too. I was there too.