These films were made in the original Kodacolor process, which was replaced by Kodachrome.

Kodacolor was a lenticular film process at the time, that reproduced the colors as fine stripes of red, green, and blue, like a modern LCD TV screen

This one from 1934 starts with California and then goes to the Century of Progress in Chicago:

These are stunning. 

I never realized the magnificent color of this fair. It is too often pictured in monochrome or in colorized postal cards.  What an incredible series of scenes of the science pavilion.  The vivid colors still impress today.  I have never seen the Sky Ride as this film captures it.  It must have been the thrill of a lifetime.  The Avenue of Flags takes on a whole new dimension when seen in actual footage.  It was spectacular as the Lake Michigan winds whipped those enormous banners towering over the crowds.  The GM pavilion is far larger and more magnificent than I had ever appreciated and seeing that dirigible pass by probably impresses me, today, as much as it did fairgoers in 1933.  And how cool and exciting is that television building?!

Sinclair's dinosaurs were quite entertaining in 1933 and their 1964 cousins were basically the same.  This means that 1933 technology was very good and needed little updating thirty years after Chicago's fair closed.

These films are an absolute treasure.

A Century of Progress must have been an incredible fair.  Hell, it turned a profit and that alone makes it remarkable.  It certainly had one of the most beautiful settings of any great world's fair.  The lake is such an inspiring backdrop.  Water makes all the difference in the world.  I would rank the Century of Progress with the GGIE and Expo 67 for the sheer beauty of its setting.

Edited by Jim

I agree completely on the color - the colorized postcards were hard to believe, but here you have it directly. I think I mentioned before that my dad said he and his friends were crazy about the Sky Ride (he was 16 at the time). I really regret not asking him more.

I am so impressed by the lack of junkie commercial signage.  Notice how the major manufactures signs are clean and tidy plus no posters, ads, menus, on anything besides what is on the facades.  It makes the look pop.