Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Some exciting new additions!!!! Fair and More!

Hi All some new additions to my image archive, I am very pleased with all of these. :)

The first top left: The Genbaku Dome (Industrial Exhibition Hall) in Hiroshima - late for me - perhaps 1958 but the color, awesome composition and early (third) fence which would soon be changed motivated me. Often said to be the only building left standing, this is not true. Some remain even today. Originally slated for destruction, men like Kiyoshi Kikkawa and others rallied to have it preserved. It is protected today. I have a model of this building built my Kikkawa out of bomb scraps, finished with a blow torch, and also roof tiles and ceramic home wire nuts boxed and decorated by Kikkawa and sold in his Atomic Souvenir Shop. He was a great proponent of peace.

Next - top right: Entrance 1939 NYWF large format full 8" x 10" transparency. This is cropped! That is the Hall of Special Events(?) in yellow - the wedge shaped thing. I think in 1940 it had dancing. Textiles sculpture is nearby but not seen here. Those are "hairpins" in blue neon. That is NOT the base of the Star Pylon to the left but some other sculpture I can't name.  The two red pylons, the "twin towers" as they were called at the time,  are on the far right - they are not red here but the two rectangular white illuminated tops can be seen. These are the two tall towers in front the of the Communications Building on either side of Reneir's "Speed" for orientation.  I think here you are looking towards where those 1964 rockets would be in Transportation, in the far distance, across the GCP? Bill? The switchback foreground is particularly exciting and the color is beautiful if I may say so. Dream. I can't recall right now - this is the entrance (out of frame to extreme right), LIRR  I think closest to the Town of Tomorrow, but oddly looking toward the Communications Zone and beyond while walking in - most unusual! I've never seen the fair like this. Have you? No T&P and still strong.

Bottom left: The Cunard R.M.S. Mauretania entering the metal Industries yard at Rosyth, Scotland, on July 4th 1935 at 6 am. She is to be broken up in Dry Dock No. 1.  Last bit hauled ashore in August of 1936. A half gale greeted her during this sad arrival. The kilted piper seen is playing a funeral lament for this revered vessel - a lament whose name is Flowers of ...Flodden Field or Flowers of the Forest. I just can't recall.  Even in this state correspondent Paul Walker said she was still imposing, rust and all. Massive and powerful. After all - 790 feet. All her fittings have been sold off here - even most of her lifeboats and docking equipment. are gone. Public rooms gone - stripped and sold. I have some bits. .And yet, in this barren condition, on July 8, 10,000 people lined up to pay to board her one last time. This money one went to local charity. Even in her death, she provided much needed work in the north for the men at Rosyth. The 22-foot Ribband she flies here represents each year she held the record for the fastest crossing - 22 consecutive years losing to the Bremen in July 1929 - by a half an hour after so many years of design improvements! True record holder - greyhound. This print is period - there is a Getty image taken moments after this by the same photographer, but this photograph seems to be unique and unpublished. This is perhaps the rarest single image I have (not including stereoscopic, color, panoramic and glass) and I think it is from a copy negative but certainly period. Her masts have been chopped to fit under the Firth of Forth Bridge - the bridge designed by Thomas Arroll who designed the Great Gantry to construct...Titanic!

Bottom right: Cunard R.M.S. Mauretania in Liverpool 1914 with black/dark painted bridge. She finally has her post Titanic lifeboat configuration (took until Nov. 1913 to get rafts all over the place). WW1 has started and she is in transitional drab scheme before being called up again later in the year (after August 6). She and Lusitania were painted in and out of dark colors at this time. Later, she spent all of 1917 laid up in Gareloch, Scotland- she required so many tons of coal per day she was deemed too costly and impractical to operate in the Med so the 1902 contract with the Admiralty for her to serve in wartime, "if needed" (hence the construction subsidy) proved somewhat unrealistic. She did however see much service in 1918/1919 but things were quite different then. Images from 1914 are very scarce. That tug is the Skirmisher which I think also tended Titanic a few years before. Not a single life was lost on this ship during her war years.

I HOPE YOU ENJOY!

Best wishes,

Eric

X New additions © EKL 2015.jpg

Edited by magikbilly

Hi All, here is one from Hiroshima - I have three more that might actually be better. Rare. Early. December 1945. Heavyweight 5x7 too $2.10 ea! :)

594f3431551ec_December1945.17final.jpg.47d183b028a40b53f82c30f003c3e148.jpg

Ah, Uhh, commentary. right. This is a road near the Genbaku Dome from the appearance of the tree and the nature of the rubble - those square structures can be seen in US Army panoramics. I can not locate the specific street but this is rather close to what was then called Zero Ground. You know, much of this inner area, a few miles radius, area was covered in up  to 15 feet of rubble and it was removed so very quickly in the streets. The other photographs I have are perhaps earlier and show the rubble at depth. Note most things standing are rather vertical - this might suggest close proximity to the point of explosion as vertical objects avoided much of the blast/shock as it was mostly downward. I believe this is a very strong photograph. 

Here is another - a big one! 1939 Winter. March 1st, 1939. See Russia and the scaffolding on the T&P, and the Four Elements, Washington is not even there yet. No Westinghouse Tower...Carrier not finished, no GE Lightning Bolt, no Petroleum Tower,  Communications Mural undone, same for De Kooning's work, GM Futurama H&H entrance seriously undone, no lighting towers on the aquacade, the ice in the lake...594f3df1d3403_arialwinter3_39.thumb.jpg.f130725ec30b6a140a524ec8fe12ee31.jpg

I  could go on for some time...

Hi All,

I just opened this file up above as posted - it is HUGE! Have a look! The light towers are indeed there on the Aquacade. Some 20-30% of this fair is under scaffolding here, or unfinished in some way. This is one of those few shots that have much of the fair in a single view.

Hi Magikbilly - thanks for repeating about the size of this image - I didn't realize it until I opened it in a full window on my big monitor and then read the dimensions. A super aerial panorama for sure!

It is a great photo.  So much of the Fair is still wrapped in scaffolding but that results in a charm all its own.  Independence Hall, Italy, USSR--all look quite remarkable in this shot.