Flower1.jpg

Flower2.jpg

Flower3.jpg

Flower4.jpg

Flower5.jpg

Flower6.jpg

Flower7.jpg

Flower8.jpg

The last picture is dated September '65, and the flowers are gone out of the boxes.  I have one more grainy picture from late '65 with the tree leaves changing color, and the flowers are gone in that one too.

Looks like they had them at the elevator entrance too, at least on the left side.  Most of the flower 'boxes' around the elevator area were circular bowls.

Flower9.jpg

Notice that the boxes seem to have been constructed from planks cut vertically, but at an angle to match the slope of the concrete walls.

Flower10.jpg

Looks like on the blueprints, the concrete wall has been chamfered, so the box is designed to sit *over* that.

I'll bet those expansion bolts were just cut off and are still there.

I like the shot labeled September, 1965.  I was there--fifty years ago this weekend--Labor Day, 1965.

All please note that the vertical lines you are seeing are vines dangeling from the plants and their shadows. The blueprints make no mention of any cuts or strips running vertically. We will be building as close as possible to Philip Johnson's plans.

Good observation, Jim!  Whatever flower variety they chose sure seemed to grow vines rapidly.

Be sure to post us some project in-progress pictures!

I'd guess the flowers and vines are separate plants - the flowers could be geraniums(?).

I think these shots are FANTASTIC!

an interesting side note, in image#2, my eye caught a spray painting(on the side of a trash can?) .  I thought how interesting and wondered if that was part of vandalism or something the WF did for some things.

Yes, we discussed that picture and that very question several years ago.  The first thing that caught people's eye was that it's a trash can with a NYSP logo on it instead of the standard NYWF logo-- so that was interesting.  Then we kicked around the meaning of the spray painted letters.  I think we concluded that SE means Southeast, and since this entrance/exit was indeed at the SE end of the pavilion, we concluded that more than likely it was painted by a pavilion worker, not graffiti.  That said, I think we ALL agreed that it was a horrible thing for New York State to put out there. :D

I worked at a garden shop for many years during weekends and summer during my younger years.  I would bet anything those red flowers are geraniums.  They grow very well in the Northeast and need little watering.  In fact, they tend to do better in dry soil with watering every few days at most.  They are also extremely hardy.  They are the most popular flowering plant for planters of all sorts.

The vines are very likely English Ivy which is widely used in this area as a compliment for flowering planters and baskets.

There has not been a great deal of change with these two plants in fifty years.