Bill Cotter

A peek inside the Administration Building

My guess is, that's the map room on the immediate right, and Robert Moses' private dining room straight down at the end of this hallway.

Sterility appears to be the creative message given to the architects who designed the place.

Edited by Jim

On the left - Department of Arguments, Department of Complaints, Department of Silly Walks...

Someday I hope we find a picture of the room with the machine that controlled the electronic display boards on all the General Foods Arches.  It was there in the Admin bldg somewhere.

Someday I hope we find a picture of the room with the machine that controlled the electronic display boards on all the General Foods Arches.  It was there in the Admin bldg somewhere.

Yes, that would be interesting - I never thought about where the controls would be. 

This is that same area as it is today, notice the grille on the bottom of the door on the left, and the two sprinkler heads on the ceiling. Not much has changed in over  fifty years. Was there on Thurs.

image.jpg

This is Moses office today, back in the Fair days That wall on the right of the enclosure wasn't there and his private dressing room was through that door on the back right.

image.jpg

• Like 1

The new office inside Moses' area has NYWF colors! Great views, Johnnie. Thanks! They sure did a messy job on the wiring added along the hallway.

Not sure Randy, but he was the only one who had metal window shades outside his window, the brackets are still there. Also big news there redoing the outside of the Admin. building and some parts of the interior. 

May '64 view from the train just missed the wing with Moses' office, but got his limo parked there. :D

I think we have another one somewhere that *does* show his office with the metal window shades.  I see what looks like some roof A/C units.

64-05-21a-05 Fair from subway.jpg

Here's something that doesn't turn up a lot - a view inside the Administration Building. It was labeled "International Section."

admin-international-area.jpg

Does it bring back some memories, Albert? And can you pinpoint where it was on the chart at http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/operations-drawings-manual/sheet-06.pdf?

Love getting to see inside that bulding

Glad to get to see inside that building when it was new..

May '64 view from the train just missed the wing with Moses' office, but got his limo parked there. :D

I think we have another one somewhere that *does* show his office with the metal window shades.  I see what looks like some roof A/C units.

64-05-21a-05 Fair from subway.jpg

Because the building had a boiler room. The prints show one. I would think they had a water chiller for the building A/C . That must be a cooling tower for the chiller. Also the other items may have been for the kitchen and or dining room needs..

I was trying to guess if they could see an arch from the control point just to be sure it was working, but I guess not.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 11:59 AM, JOHNNY AT THE FAIR said:

Bill, they really botched that wire troft.

What a hack job.

And I'm sure some millennial will ask (looking at the first photo): "What are those stainless steel cylindrical objects outside of the doors?"