Bill Cotter

Who's Minding the Store?

Some time ago I bought a stack of newspaper clippings that came from the Fair's press department files. I was going through them now and came across this mangled letter that mentions the use of a Fair-related poster in the Jerry Lewis film "Who's Minding the Store?".

minding-store-1.jpg

Intrigued, I got a copy of the film and watched it to find the Fair poster. Boy, was that a painful chore. This is NOT a funny film. It's basically a very, very thin "plot" that ties together a bunch of sight gags as Lewis mugs for the camera. It also required one to completely suspend belief and accept that Jill St. John is madly in love with him and that other women just can't resist his charms, whatever they supposedly might be. Well, in any event, I found the Fair poster.

minding-store-2.jpg

minding-store-3.jpg

minding-store-4.jpg

minding-store-5.jpg

minding-store-6.jpg

It made me wonder why the film makers put that poster there. It has nothing at all to do with the film, and from the memo, it doesn't look like the Fair arranged it as any sort of product placement.

So cool. This poster is also in one of the "beach blanket" movies.  From 64/65 I would imagine.

Really interesting find.  I wonder how many actually noticed that poster or if subliminal messaging was at work.

LOL- never mind- the guy in the Who's Minding the Store movie was actually....the late great Ray Walston, who became better known as My Favorite Martian. The Time Tunnel general was played by well known character actor Whit Bissell.

I really think an episode of I Dream of Jeannie should have sent Major Nelson to make a publicity appearance at the World's Fair in the Space Park.

Of course the show didn't debut until September '65, so not much overlap time.

Ah, wasn't Whit Bissell the guy who started to believe McCarthy in Invasion of the Body Snatchers after the truck accident?

Time Tunnel is the TV version of those 2 crazy sci fi films The Time Travelers? Where the whole lb moves forward and back in time (saving set costs I guess)? The first version was b/w about 1962, the second was in color about 1965/66. I recall Uncle Forry Ackerman was in the first version in a cameo/bit part. When I met him he let me wear Bela's Dracula ring! (OK, only for a minute, but still...)

Eric

Anyone ever see The Outer Limits episode called The Probe?

PS - How come on the "Forum" page, the stuff now upper left, recent posts or whatever, does not show up in "New Content"? I feel I am missing many things.

Edited by magikbilly

No, it was Lee Meriwether, who also played Catwoman in the 1966 film.

Thanks Bill

Lee Meriwether, Julie Newmar and Eartha Kit...three absolutely p-u-rrrrrrrrrr-fect "Cat Women"!!!

• Like 1