Bill Cotter

Anyone want a waffle?

Wow - there should have been an award for keeping whipped cream off your jacket! - Great shot.

Yes, Doug. It was pretty much the standard BSA summer uniform plus the campaign hats and patches. Some troops used those hats outside the Fair but they were expensive and frankly uncomfortable - and not at all popular with the boys I knew. Some adults seemed to like them, but we preferred the soft hats you could tuck into your belt when out on a hike.

Do the hexagonal pavers narrow it down?

It looks like the partial sign in the upper left background says "Tropical Fruit Drinks." Maybe that helps?

I've definitely seen that Tropical Fruit Drink sign somewhere. I think the fake palm tree rules out the Belgian Village.

There was a Bel-Gem outlet next to the Aerial Ride in the Lake Amusement area, but I'm having trouble finding any palm trees or Tropical Drinks in photos of it.

Do you have a year on this one, Bill?

The background may be overexposed, but there are a lot of red signs or red lettering that it might be possible to decipher from a zoomed-in scan. Can you help, Bill?

The palm tree leads me to think the photo may have been taken at Florida, Hawaii, Indonesia or perhaps Polynesia. I also notice that in the top left corner there is a 2 sided white frame sign with a black background and orange lettering but I can't make out the words.

The palm tree leads me to think the photo may have been taken at Florida, Hawaii, Indonesia or perhaps Polynesia. I also notice that in the top left corner there is a 2 sided white frame sign with a black background and orange lettering but I can't make out the words.

Do you mean top right?

I have been trying to read the bright red lettering just to the right of the tall wall, hoping it would lead to something unique. The best I can guess so far is that the right word might be coffe(e), but if so, that's not much help.

yes, top right just to the left of palm tree. The lettering/font is very similar to what the arches used. Maybe this is an electronic sign. I checked all my photos of any pavilion that might have a palm tree and found nothing.

The scout in the back row, 2nd from right looks like he is auditioning for an upcoming "Dirty Harry" movie..."Go ahead punk, make my day!" :angry:

And what's up with the one scout in the photo (bottom right) not eating a waffle? Maybe the Dirty Harry scout stole his waffle money! :o

I spent hours yesterday looking for a match to anything, and came up blank.

The hexagonal paving stones seem to match those used in the Court of the Universe, but also in the ground area around the base of the Lifesavers Tower at the BLC.

Apparently it was a common available paving stone.

I asked the year, because I'm kind of suspecting it's 1965. This is definitely not the "main" Bel-Gem outlet near the Tower of London, and Bel-Gem really expanded the number of outlets in 1965. (It would great someday to find a 1965 Bel-Gem map of all their locations in the fairgrounds). They were at at least 2 locations in the Belgian Village, and this is neither of those. There was at least one outlet in the Lake Amusement area, next to the Aerial Ride, and this is definitely not that one either.

I spent a lot of time poking through photos in and around the Caribbean Pavilion, but nothing there. Why? There's a clue you guys didn't mention. On the right on the front of the wooden wall is some kind of logo. Perhaps a smiling face. The Caribbean Pavilion had a logo kind of like that. But then so did the Better Living Center (and the aforementioned paving stones around the Lifesavers Tower). And the 1965 "Festival International Market" next to the Festival of Gas had a similar smiley face too....but that was all asphalt and no paving stones. (The background images though, remind me of what has been described as a People to People Food Bazaar.)

post-164-0-42219100-1430139798_thumb.jpg

Someday we'll solve this one. :)

I looked at that partial logo and thought it might be some sort of medieval shield / great seal / symbol of Belgium.

Regarding the yellow/orange lettering, it's tempting to say it's electronic, but that would have been expensive and pretty whiz-bang at the time for a counter-service food stand. I'd think someone would remember that. Remember, no inexpensive general purpose computers - would require purpose-built hardware.

If you stare at the washed out background VERY carefully, I believe that's GE! (You can just make out the V-shaped struts and the slab tower next to the pavillion on the side facing Better Living I think).

I've been leaning towards the International Fiesta Market area. This slide was so dark that when I scanned it I had to really push up the brightness to show the Scouts. I'll try to get to the storage facility and pull the slide to see if the background shows more without the brightness dialed up so much.

If that is GE in the background (not too sure), this could be a Brass Rail (non-bubble-topped, I believe) next to Chunky Square. I can't find a picture that would plainly confirm it or rule it out. Pictures from above show this Brass Rail had a raised area with tables and broad steps leading up to them in back. Those don't show here, but this pic may be aimed enough to the west to exclude them.

http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/chunky.htm

Still very speculative.

Thanks Randy,

I don't think I see a palm tree or that sort of wood construction in any of those shots.