Bill Cotter

Can you ID this exhibit?

Style looks like southern Asia - India, Burma, Siam

A search for "elephant dragon" shows some similar sculpture from Thailand and similar heads from Tibetan roof corner decoration. But neither that nor a reverse image search on Google turns up this particular item.

The item from Thailand is most similar, described as a "funny" dragon with parts of many animals.

Can you see anything by brightening the background that would agree with Indonesia?

It sure sounds like it's an Indonesia sultan's carriage.

I found a scan of the Indonesia Pavilion's brochure for Expo 86, but nothing there about a carriage.

This nails it.

http://iafor.org/archives/offprints/acah2013-offprints/ACAH2013_0472.pdf

The Pavilion's "Zone 2":

Golden Carriage of Paksi Naga Liman (Cirebon Sultanate): in its general sense golden carriage is a symbol of togetherness or in its wider sense referring to a kingdom or state. The combination of special animals like elephant, dragon and buraq symbolize cultural hybridity (acculturation).

Bill, are the slides numbered just before and after your #16, both Expo 86? I'm wondering if this could have been something like an art museum in Vancouver. There's nothing on the walls promoting any particular country's culture.

I think I found a picture of this particular carriage.

https://pusparaniology.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/korean-friend-visit-to-cirebon-indonesia/img_7609/

Edit: but the carving looks less elaborate??