Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Los Angeles is working on a 2022 Fair

I saw that a group is planning on a Fair for Los Angeles to start in 2022 and run until 2024. i don't know how they hope to get around the BIE rules and get a two year fair authorized. They also plan to spread the fair across all of LA County, which I think is impossible given our traffic out here. If one of the venues was less than a full-day affair you could eat up massive amounts of time getting between sites. I wish them luck but I wonder how much they've thought it out.

www.laworldsfair.org

It appears it is to be a three year event. After looking at the website, which offers nothing specific, it really does not come across as a logical or workable concept. It also does not appear to be an idea sponsored by the city. It appears to be an independent idea and to respond to your question: The information is so sparse that it's safe to suggest there has not been much in the way of in-depth thinking--at least based on the website.

Oh yeah. As much as I would dearly love to see my home city host an EXPO-- a plan like this is never gonna happen. Waiting three hours in line to tour a pavilion is one thing. But waiting in traffic for two hours so you can wait another three hours in line to tour a pavilion is another. And although it would probably be ideal for an EXPO to roll right into an Olympics-- there's no way Los Angeles could ever afford both.

And really, when you get down to brass tacks (Brass Rails?) where would you put a traditional world's fairgrounds in LA? The Hollywood Park complex in Inglewood is too small and already slated for the new football stadium. There's no other piece of land I can think of that's big enough within the actual city limits-- unless maybe you're going way out into the Imperial Valley desert somewhere-- and who wants to stand in line and sweat? The only sizable plot of real estate I could maybe see (that probably isn't available, anyway-- especially since it borders a wetland wildlife refuge) would be the old Navy Weapons Depot land in Seal Beach.

post-585-0-56644800-1427178835_thumb.jpg

Bill? You got any ideas?

I can't think of a spot offhand either, but some cities like New Orleans, Knoxville, and Vancouver all found a fair a good way to clean out a blighted section for later rebuilding. I would think, though, if they tried such an approach in LA it's already past the time they could ever get all the inevitable lawsuits and environmental impact reports settled.

One site might work, but trying to share the wealth across 88 cities in the county is just unworkable. Some of those cities are way too small to host anything larger than a souvenir stand or snack bar. The traffic logistics will doom this plan for sure.

Think linear. Build a structural roof/floor over the Los Angeles River, and build your Fair on that.
Added bonus: More nesting sites for "THEM!".

:D VERY funny, Mike. But there have been some crazier urban redevelopment scenarios floating around the City of Angels lately. Take this one, for example.

"PARK 101" is a plan to cap the entire 101 freeway from Hollywood through downtown, pushing traffic underground, while turning the existing freeway into one long, giant, public park space. If it ever saw the light of day (and I'll bet you my GM Futurama cars it won't) maybe they could host the 2022 World's Fair there!

http://park101.org

Yep. The architect who designed the RCA Pavilion, Malcolm Wells, in later years was a huge proponent of covering freeways and "greening" the cover.
He even wrote a book about it (and I have an autographed copy).
It solves a lot of problems, but presents many, many more. The greatest of which is cost. Reference: Big Dig.
We can't even fill chuckholes these days.

On 3/23/2015 at 9:50 PM, Jim said:

It appears it is to be a three year event.

Jim, it's actually a 2 year event.  It starts on Jan 1, 2022 and ends on Dec 31, 2023. 

Their site hasn't had an update in six months. I remain confident in my prediction that they won't be holding the proposed fair. There has been zero news of it here in LA for quite some time.