Bill Cotter

His & Her shots on the Texaco map

Can you zoom in on the area in question, Randy, or was this someone elses scan?

Someone else's unfortunately.

I might have that map, but if I do, it's buried deep in some moving boxes. I think some others here have it too, and probably more easily accessible.

Can you also scan the legend, so we can see what black circle numbers mean?

The blue road parallel to 17 is I-87.
Route 17 becomes a divided highway at Interchange 16 and heads northwest.
The terrazzo map was made from a 1963 map, I believe, as it shows 17 and Interchange 16 as "proposed".

By 1965, both were built.

Is it 287--the blue line, I mean? NY Rt. 17 appears to just stop rather than continuing northwest.

Is I-87 then marked above or below this world's fair era photograph? Well, I knew 17 was dramatically changed after the Texaco map was created. I never knew the Thruway paralleled Rt 17--at least for a few miles.

The Thruway (the major red route on the map for those unfamiliar with NY highways) parallels the original 17, which now becomes 32 after it crosses the "new" 17. You can follow the history of 17 at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_17

I know that road quite well, as it leads up to my favorite Boy Scout Camp, Onteora Scout Reservation at Exit 96. Beautiful country. That map scan brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for posting it, Mike.

Fun topic, Bill.
Texaco also tells us that the State and Federal gas tax at the time was a whopping 10 cents.

I found at least 20 different oil company maps of the NYWF area that I'd forgotten I had!

On Mike's scan, the blue line is a waterway running parallel to, and between Rt. 17 and I-287. It makes sense that the lettering is neater and cleaner on the terrazzo map. The large scale allows for a cleaner look and smaller type. If the original-sized type had been scaled up it would have looked overwhelmingly messy.

The more you look at this, the more you appreciate the gargantuan task it was to create the scaled up version. I wonder if the Manhattan College students just did the enlarging, or did they help place the lettering and symbols in the big map too.... or did they just enlarge it so the terrazzo company could construct it from the enlargements? Do we know?

This is funny to me. Our little blue creek which, on the paper map, runs and kind of ends between 17 and I-87 at Harriman..... actually is very long and dumps into New York harbor at Newark! And it seems to begin at Millpond in the Village of Monroe historic district, and also is fed by the Harriman sewer treatment plant. I followed it end-to-end on the satellite imagery.

Good job, Doug. This investigation will come in handy some day..... ;)

I'll try to find a '64 or '63 Rand McNally to see if it matches the terrazzo. Vitally important work, this!

And here's an Esso / Humble / General Drafting map from Oct. 1962.
It shows a proposed bypass from Interchange 16 eastward to US 6.

I guess this was never built. Maybe that's what "PROP" is meant to indicate.
We'll need a '62 or '63 Texaco map to be sure.

post-18-0-88015700-1427576588_thumb.jpg

I read somewhere slight changes were made between 1964 and 1965 to the map. Would a new square/s have been made off site to replace the map sections affected, or would have someone have come in during the winter of 64-65 and actually worked directly on the portion/s of the map that were modified. I seem to recall it had something to do with a name of a town that might have been somehow omitted in the original 1964 map.

My town, Baldwin, was one of the ones omitted in 1964 but added for 1965. I don't know if they pulled the panels out or did the work on site.

Here's a section from 1964

nywf-texaco-1964.jpg

And the same section, or what was left of it, in 1987.

nywf-texaco-1987.jpg

They made space for BALDWIN by taking the Rte 27 marker off.