Glen Schultzberg

Visiting Disney World!

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the board for a while (I need to get back into reading all these wonderful topics again), but wanted to check in and mention that my wife and I are taking our daughters (5 and 9) to Disney World tomorrow (it should be a great big beautiful tomorrow indeed!). It's been a few years since we last visited and I'm looking forward to the world's fair aspect of the whole experience. I wasn't born until a few years after the 1964-65 NYWF closed and have never been to a world's fair/expo, so this is the closest I've been. While pretty much everything about a trip to Disney World is great and I'm excited to have the opportunity to see my girls experience the magic again while they're still at "that age", I'm also very much looking forward to seeing all the NYWF and world's fair-ish aspects of the parks--like The Carousel of Progress (which I'm hoping will be open while we're there), It's a Small World, the Hall of Presidents, the monorails, and of course, the whole world's fair-inspired layout of Epcot! My older daughter was just in a school play of Mary Poppins, so I'm also going to make sure I point out all the Sherman brothers' music that she'll be hearing.

Does anyone have any additional pointers as far as things in WDW that are either from the Fair or have that world's fair feel to them?

post-894-0-28381400-1426511859_thumb.jpg

Pretty much all of Tomorrowland tied in well with the '64-65 NYWF, until they changed to the 'Jules Verne' theme some years back. Now it's a bit of a hodgepodge of styles.

That's a great point Randy. Despite the constant need to try to keep up with the times much of Tomorrowland still has that old-time feel to it. I'm sure that's disappointing to many, but for people nostalgic for the Fair and that time it's priceless. I forgot about the Peoplemover! That's another retro-feeling one, and of course it goes past that diorama of that city of the future, which always makes me think of the Futurama!

Thanks for the welcome back Bill. I've poked around a bit from time to time, but I need to make the time to really get back to this wonderful community!

If they felt like they needed to change Tomorrowland, I think they should have followed the awesome 'Blade Runner' theme and moved it even FURTHER into the future, instead of taking it back a hundred years and ending up with a mess of mixed up styles (in my opinion).

Is the Epcot ride still intact inside the big ball? (was that Spaceship Earth? That ride was very much like riding in the Bell and GM chairs at the WF, and the show was similar, too. Have lunch at Morocco, it's like really being there. To me, Epcot is very much like the '64-'65 World's Fair, especially if you make the trudge over to the side where the countries are. Of course, they're having to revamp it to hold the interest of younger folks than me. For instance, Norway had a very World's Fair-like show called Maelstrom showing the Viking experience, But that's closed now as they rebuild it into a Disney's Frozen movie themed experience.

The US pavilion at Epcot is pretty WF like, as well. I suppose most of the country pavilions are.

Wouldn't you agree that that ride is about as reminiscent of Bell's and GM's ride experience as you'll find anywhere?