Randy Treadway

GM locomotive

Several years ago we'd tracked down what happened to the GM "show" locomotive, a long service life ending with scrapping, as happens to almost all locomotives.

Here's a photo of it being removed after the Fair closed; purchased by the New York Central.

WorldsFairLoco.jpg

I wonder if that was built at Electromotive in Illinois, where my uncle was a model maker?

Edit:

Found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_GP35

built both in US and Canada

Wayne, here's a picture of it at the EMD plant in Illinois, ready for delivery to the World's Fair. The build date was January '64. A real showpiece.

500px-GP35_Demo.jpg

Randy, NICE! Thanks - I couldn't picture the glass side.

Are you a RR enthusiast? I like trains, but don't store up all the knowledge like some fans do.

I did pay $100 to run a loco for an hour in Portola, CA in 2006 (now up to $175, I see):

http://wplives.org/ral.html

(and I have the T-shirt <grin>)

The instructor was a former Air Force pilot instructor, and was really good at it.

I got into it about 20 years ago but lost interest after just a few months. That's about the time my interest in the '64-65 World's Fair got renewed thanks to the internet.

Very nice Randy, I remember like it was yesterday walking around that baby. Collected Lionel trains and it reminded me of my GP7. and this is after coming off a great ride, and sitting in all the new cars for 64 then 65.... Where's that time machine.

Randy, NICE! Thanks - I couldn't picture the glass side.

After it arrived from the Illinois factory with the plexiglass panels in place, explanation boards were also added to point out what was what.

1964-xx-03.jpg

Found it somewhere on the internet quite some time ago...not sure where.

Interesting that they built an elevated walkway right next to the locomotive's catwalk. Not only did they want to keep people out of reach of that power plant, but they may have had resale in mind from the very beginning. Keep the paint fresh. :)

ON THE OTHER HAND-- compare to the "factory" photo. Right in front of the big diesel engine, it looks like they added two white rest benches! Now if they didn't let people walk up there, what are the rest benches for? Another mystery....

AHHHHHHH... mystery solved quickly!

I have 3 different photos that show a GM spokesman up there on the catwalk to EXPLAIN things to people and answer questions. The white rest benches are for the spokesmen!

bench1.jpg

bench2.jpg

bench3.jpg

In this 1965 view the Plexiglass panels are gone from the right side of the engine. Randy, do you have any 65 views that show them still there, or is this another change between seasons. They appear to have moved the locomotive and eliminated the walkway completely on that side.

gm-locomotive-65.jpg

They simply turned it around between seasons to point away from the pavilion. You can see people exiting on the same side as before-- but I do note that it looks like in '65 they had them exiting to the front of the locomotive instead of back toward the cab.

In 2005, General Motors sold EMD. EMD is now a subsidiary of Caterpillar. The main plant is still there in Illinois.

In 2010, EMD still held 30% of the North American market.

Their latest model, the SD70ACe, looks like this:

1920px-KCS_Loco_No.4034.JPG

After the Fair closed I applied for various jobs, one of which was as a fireman for the NY Central Railroad. I passed all the tests and interviews, including the interview with the vice president. He said, look at this pile of papers on the corner of my desk, kid. Those are accident reports for brakemen. You're lucky you're not getting the brakeman job. Yeah, I passed all the tests, and I had amazing 20/05 eyesight. The only test left to pass was the color blindness test. But all I can see in those tests is a bunch of colored dots, except for the one that's stuck in to catch guys who are faking it. So that was the end of that. They said I need to be able to identify color coded signals, and then they kicked me out the door.

PS What happened to my greyhound dog avatar?

The greyhound dog was color blind and got kicked out the door. LOL - just kidding! Maybe Bill can retrieve it. Actually it looks like all avatars are gone, so my guess is they are still stored on the server but a configuration flag has been tripped to "not display".

Randy, I went into your member profile and it didn't have a photo assigned to it. I picked a generic one to use for a trial and am seeing it now here for you. No clue as to where the old one went, but you should be able to replace the one I used with one of your choice.

Larry, I got your dog (or one like it) re-loaded, but checking out some things in the admin setup to see if we can make it "go, go greyhound". :D

This is how it's supposed to look:

http://www.myogga.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/GreyhoundAnimatedClipArt.gif

Looks like it was a 2011 coding change by IP Board (the software developer)...trying to find out more.

Okay, here's the poop.

IP Board rolled out version 3.0 (what we are currently using here) in 2011. It changed the avatar server storage location to be in the "gallery". At the same time, some administrators out there had complained to them that some of their users were putting video loop files in the gallery that were basically video files like you'd find on youtube, and it was taking so much server horsepower to run them that everything came crashing down. They requested that the board's coding 'freeze' animated/video files in the gallery on the first frame and display that only.

Okay, that was fine, except suddenly people's tiny animated gif avatars stopped working too! (and that's what we see with the greyhound avatar- just the first frame).
Lots of users complained. A proposal was then put in to change the coding again, this time to make it an OPTION for a server administrator to turn the animation capability "on" or "off". Apparently, it was promised for Release 3.2 (They are now on to 3.4, and there's a 4.0 out in beta).
In the meantime, somebody wrote an installable "hook" to provide the on/off toggle to administrators who've yet to upgrade from 3.0. Except that the link I found to that hook, now gets a Code 500 error. I'm guessing they took it down because the latest versions of IP Board have the toggle built in.

There was one other technical proposal submitted, to give the user an option to put in a link to an externally stored avatar rather than store it in the gallery. (this could be another way of going around the animation block in the gallery coding). I don't know whether that option got included in the latest versions of IP Board either.