Sign in to follow this  
bobster1985

The Queens Zoo opens

This is another very interesting article. Mr. Moses remained as feisty as ever, it appears. Two things struck me as significant. One is that Mr. Moses did comment on the empty US pavilion which had never been in his original plans for the park. I don't recall if I've come across other comments he may have made about that structure as it stood there unused. In any event, its lack of purpose in 1968 was partly his fault simply because he had never insisted that it have a post-fair use and never expected it to still be standing there.

The Churchill pavilion's geodesic dome became an aviary. So did the US geodesic dome in Montreal. I guess that is ok. But it seems as if nobody could really envision any other function for such a structure. Just a guess.

Are there any engineers out there who can speak to the strength of a geodesic dome? Are they strong, or just suited to be more or less of a canopy over free standing interior structures?

I am no engineer, but had the personal pleasure of meeting R. Buckminster Fuller at a futurist exposition in Los Angeles shortly before his passing. I also got the chance to speak with several of his "disciples" at the same show, who stressed repeatedly that -- pound for pound -- geodesic domes were among the strongest construction types then currently available. A major issue with the domes, however, is that their circular footprints just are not that practical for many uses, especially with the sloping surfaces rendering much of the interior space near the edges virtually unusable in conventional applications.

Wikipedia has an excellent article that speaks to this and several other drawbacks, but it doesn't sound like strength would be one of them.