Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Sad news to report - Michael Pender has passed away

John Pender sent me word that his father passed away last week. More details at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/heraldtribune/obituary.aspx?n=michael-r-pe-pender&pid=173288059

Mike Pender was one of the men behind the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, working on the many state exhibits. Many of the more unusual items that have surfaced in recent years came from Mike's collection - he had a treasure trove of insider documents and other items. It's simply wonderful that he saved so much for so long, or it would likely never have survived or surfaced.

Mike was also one of the leaders of the World's Fair Collector's Society and did a fantastic job on its newsletter for many years, up until it got to be too much for him and it ceased publication.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike at several shows back at the Adria and other venues, and found him to be quite approachable about his Fair days. He will sorely be missed by many.

Sad news indeed, Bill. I never got to meet Mike-- but I was an avid subscriber to the WFCS Newsletter and got to pick up a few small pieces from his collection over the years. My heartfelt sympathies to John and his entire family.

Sincere condolences to John and the family.

I'm saddened to hear of his passing. Over the years I had a number of occasions to correspond and speak to John about my membership in the WFCS and at the Adria shows. My sincerest condolences to his family.

I too remember meeting Mike at the Adria show. A very kind man. My heartfelt condolences to the Pender family.

Sad news indeed. Back in the WFCS days, he sent me several NYWF related items, including a copy of the 1964 Guidebook, without charge.