bobster1985

Last gasp for the U.S. Pavilion

There were many ideas for using the U.S. Pavilion after the Fair ended, but none of them came to anything. The building was soon demolished, and the U.S. Tennis Center is there now.

post-3804-0-44686700-1416172893_thumb.jp

The article is dated from 1975. Does this mean the federal government still controlled or owned that building ten years after the Fair ended? Holy crap. That is ridiculous. Nobody was in charge of the structure.

Fourteen million bucks was a great deal of money in the early 1960's. It would cost considerably more than that to build an identical structure today. To spend that load of money with no thought to what might or should become of it is absolutely amazing. But we have discussed that many times.

These sort of news stories are always illuminating. This is because the reporter presents this "new plan" as something that might be viable and worthy of a headlined news story in the New York Times. I wonder if there was ever a follow-up story a couple of years later when the already ruined place was demolished. And whatever became of Mr. Lee?

The article isn't correct on the point about the federal government turning over the building to the city. The parks department assumed control of the building on 9/12/66 at 4:00 pm, as documented in the Fair Corporation records. Once the government resolved the issues relating to their delinquent utility charges in the amount of $196,600 and completed removal of all of their exhibits, the city was given control of the building.

Craig, I have read several accounts that stated the US government had a live-in caretaker for several years, and other reports to indicate they still controlled the building for some time after the Fair ended.

Really? Some guy lived in that place? How could one live-in caretaker protect that huge building? I picture some old dude with a huge ring of keys shuffling around the dark and empty space--someone like Percy Kilbride (Pa Kettle). No matter who was really in charge, it is evident that nobody was taking one ounce of responsibility.

There was a small apartment with full kitchen for him. Imagine how spooky it would have been at night...

As I have read, the pavilion was in good shape until he was pulled out. Then people pulled out the plumbing, wiring, and anything they could. That was the beginning of the end.

That's news to me. My only point of reference is the five "Status of World's Fair Demolition & Restoration Program" memos issued by John T. O'Neill to Robert Moses issued between 6/20/66 and 5/1/67, which mention nothing to that effect.

An old post that might be of interest

Doesn't sound like he was there officially. I'm leaving for WDW tomorrow and will check more when I get back.

That original post makes it sound as if he was a vagrant who left all of the lights on. Then he trashed the place.