Bill Cotter

A simple logic test

Here's a simple logic test. See how well you'll do.

The battery backup goes out on a house alarm system. It can happen at any time of the day. When it does it will beep every 30 seconds to warn you. What are the odds it will happen at 2 AM and not 2 PM?

Your possible answers are
1) 100%
2) 100%
3) 100%

For extra credit:

The code to turn off the beep every 30 seconds will be listed on the alarm so you won't have to search for it online.

1) Yes
2) No

Good luck!

Well, the house power was still on, or perhaps it beeps when dying but not yet fully dead. In any event I wasn't trying to sort out the hows and whys at 2 AM, just the "Make it stop" code!

Well, I was sort of hoping to keep using the system...

Happily I found the code, shut it off, and got some sleep. The alarm company called today and said the system phoned in the low battery alert so they'll be out to replace it.

Bill --

Weird coincidence, but this happened to us (with a wired smoke detector) just yesterday, though at a marginally more agreeable hour. In our case, my wife knew from previous experience that merely opening the battery compartment door would stop the periodic chirps, which it did instantly. That may not work for you -- I'm sure it varies among systems -- but it might be worth a try if this happens in the future. Now it's just a matter of finding a still-fresh 9v battery ...

1, 2, 3 & 2.
I'm 100% logical.

While we're ranting, why can't we have DST all year round?
We could really use it during northern winters, when daylight is scarce.

My wife's cell phone low battery alarm only goes off in the middle of the night. Must be designed by the same folks as the house alarm.

The Seed Theorem: (refined over years of lively discussion with a doubting friend)

The chances of anything happening are 50/50.

The odds of anything happening can usually be calculated.

Example:

The plane I'm flying in may or may not crash. There's simply no way to know if it will or won't. 50/50 CHANCE. It might, it might not. The ODDS of that happening are, I'm sure, calculable by people who like calculating that stuff.

But, calculations don't matter if you're on the plane that happens to go down.

Thoughts?