Hello, my name is Harry and I live in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

I have been doing research on Hersheypark and it's amusement rides. The park had a ride called The Bug from the early 1930s until 1981, when it was removed. Supposedly, the park purchased it from the 1933/4 Chicago World's Fair (possibly because Milton Hershey had bought his first chocolate producing machinery from the 1893 Chicago Columbian Exposition).

I was wondering if anyone knows if the fair had a Tumble Bug, and / or has a picture or two of it.

Thank you!

Sounds likely. The manufacturer of Tumble Bug, Harry Traver, did indeed do rides for the '33-34 Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago. Most likely in the amusement area called Enchanted Island.

The official A Century of Progress Guide Book does not mention this ride. It is not listed either at the Midway or the Enchanted Island.

A quick search indicates that there were two versions of the Tumble Bug in amusement park history. One was for adults and the other is listed as a "kiddie" attraction. Kennywood Park in PA has one (called "The Turtle") but it was opened in 1927. Conneaut Lake Park, also in PA, still has one but it opened in 1925. Both pre-date the Fair by almost a decade.

Cedar Point also had a Tumble Bug which opened in 1934 (now gone). Since the Fair closed in the autumn of 1934, it is not likely a legacy of A Century of Progress. I did not see a reference to Hershey Park having that ride although the park once had a ride called "The Bug" (as you noted) which operated from 1932 through 1981. That pre-dates the Chicago Fair as well if the Hershey date is accurate. There is a Tumble Bug at the abandoned Chippewa Lake Park and it is rusting and wildly overgrown with foliage.

Wouldn't Hershey Park have an available record of its history and acquisitions of rides and attractions? This would confirm your information one way or another.

Wouldn't Hershey Park have an available record of its history and acquisitions of rides and attractions? This would confirm your information one way or another.

That's exactly why I am doing research on the history of the rides and attractions at the park. No such record has existed until now. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any news articles that said the park installed The Bug. However, in the past few months, I have been able to determine The Bug was installed in 1933. I acquired business group picnic programs from 1932 which listed the rides in the park - The Bug was not listed. A Fall 1933 30th Anniversary of Hershey, PA , booklet does mention The Bug among a few other rides it mentions. Therefore, the park installed The Bug in 1933. I just don't have the hard evidence - something, such as a news article or press release, that actually says it was installed in 1933.