Bill Cotter

Recognize any of these people?

Since it seems that all questions posed here find answers - or an amazingly high percentage - I wanted to see if anyone could ID any of these people. The folder was labeled "Movie stars hang stars on Xmas tree in Larkin Plaza." That's in Yonkers, NY. The local paper notes that it occured on 11/13/46, which matches the folder date, and that 15 stars were present. It didn't name any though. Can you?

stars-1.jpg

stars-2.jpg

stars-3.jpg

stars-4.jpg

stars-5.jpg

stars-6.jpg

City Of Yonkers 300 Years Old YONKERS, N. Y. — The city of Yonkers," celebrating its 300th anniversary, Wednesday launched a Christmas tree in Larkin Plaza. Fifteen film stars were on hand as the Christmas season got under way a month and a half early. Christmas carols were sung.

Masillon, Ohio Evening Independent

Thursday, November 14, 1946

#3 could be Virginia Mayo.

Just as an aside, one of the stars referenced in the Herald Statesman pdf was Carol Bruce (she may be #4, although I am uncertain), who found her most enduring fame well over thirty years later portraying Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson's mother in WKRP in Cincinnati ... both in the 1979-82 original and the later revival. She passed away just over seven years ago at the age of 87.

Carol Bruce is the gal in #1. She was starring in a revival of "Show Boat" on Broadway when these pictures were taken. She played Julie, the mulatto.

You have better eyes than I do Eric, and upon closer examination, it looks like you are right. I stand corrected. :)

To me, the pictured face appears familiar insofar as his profile is not unlike Bob Hope's ... ski nose and all. Tex Beneke, however, was pretty "big" at the time of the picture (my late father was a HUGE big band aficionado, so I know a little bit about such stuff), and I have to think he would have almost surely been among those listed as being present in the accompanying article. It's a fairly reasonable likeness, though, so it's certainly one possibility.