Robert Ruffo

Most boring Expo ever?

3 posts in this topic

I am dismayed. It seems most of the pavilions relate to farming and environmental concerns, and although these topics are important, they are not exactly sexy or entertaining, let alone awe inspiring. I see a lot of preaching, a lot of repetition of the same information, a lot of discussion about seeding techniques and drainage ditches. YAWN…. I mean… Really? why not "Sewage and our Future" while you're at it, or "The World of Dentistry"

Technology is sexy, art is sexy, even abstract philosophy is sexy (the real theme of Expo 67) , cities architecture and urbanism are complex, compelling topics (Expo 2010). In contrast, the Expo 2015 theme could not really be more dull, and the starchitecture of the pavilions looks mostly ugly and uninviting (it seems every "genius" starchitect orders from the same catalog) and there is no fun monorail tele-tram or gondolas or other touring thing to help liven thing up.

I predict very low attendance - A Hanover level fail (which was also mostly about environmental preaching).

I agree Robert. I work for an airline so can travel to Milan for free and will probably attend. But what I've seen as far as pavilion architecture is yawn-inducing. Apparently the Expo organizers are requiring pavilion designers to fit their buildings into long rectangular spaces allowing for little imagination in design.

Another agreement. I plan on going but only as a small part of a much more comprehensive tour of northern Italy. One or two days, at most. I have a friend in Milan and I'm hearing that it will be earnest and informative. I'm hoping that it at least has incredible style (It IS in Milan) The 2010 Italy Pavilion was loaded with style and I'm hoping this will be the same. ... I think this is a Disney paraphrase - "entertain first, then educate " The current expos should take that to heart. Most of 64/65 certainly did. I've told Bill Young a dozen times I'm waiting for a modern Expo with a theme like: "Creativity, imagination and the human spirit". I can imagine that one being tremendous fun and very enlightening. In the meantime, I'm hoping to be totally surprised by Milan.