Seen yesterday at the Mount Vernon gift shop. They had two identical plates that I could see- priced at $99 each.

I'm just curious, is that a fair price or a ripoff? No, I didn't buy. :)

post-164-0-10852800-1401786251_thumb.jpg

Yes, a ripoff. Usually those sell for under $35 each. Very common.

Of the 1939-40 souvenir plates the only two that have real value are the Charles Murphy/Homer Laughlin and the Tiffany & Co. plates.

It's funny you posted that, at my local antique mall there's the identical plate for exactly the same price and it's been there for about 5 years. :D

The Tiffany plates you could eat off of and at times they show up in half dozen or dozen.

post-1405-0-13564700-1401809863_thumb.jppost-1405-0-91523100-1401809868_thumb.jp

The Charles Murphy/Homer Laughlin plates are plentiful but sought after by a variety of collectors.

The design, in my opinion, is just stunning. They were popular back in 1939-40 and they're still popular today.

These plates are in the collections of museums around the world, mainly for the high design.

post-1405-0-56123700-1401810229_thumb.jppost-1405-0-65642300-1401810291_thumb.jppost-1405-0-48214300-1401810412_thumb.jp

Definitely a nice design even without the Fair interest - the colors are wonderful.

...Must restrain self... stick to 64 Fair... it's enough...

• Like 1

I lived near DC for many years and often visited Mount Vernon with school groups or with out-of-town friends. It's a great place

for many reasons. But the gift shop prices have always been incredibly high regardless of what you want to purchase. Mount Vernon

is not a national park or historic site. It is operated by a private organization, the Mount Vernon Ladies Association, and they fund

all preservation and restoration themselves. I've often figured that's why the prices are so high.

Hi Randy, Jim, David :)

Randy, at least you did not try to buy them in NY ;)

You should get a little complimentary shovel in the grift shop I am thinking of, with which to bury yourself even deeper.

Eric

Even at $15 I wouldn't have bought--- have never started a 39-40 collection, other than postcards. :) I was just curious how their pricing compared to the market.