molassesonassis

For Those Who Attended The Fair: What Souvenirs Did You Bring Home?

Atomic-radiated silver dimes in the blue plastic holders from the Atomic Energy Commission pavilion.

Shrunken head from the Pavilion of Ecuador.

Ancient Byzantine bronze coins & a silver puzzle ring from the Pavilion of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.

Filigreed jewelry of Seville from the Pavilion of Spain.

And Walt Disney's autograph on the back of my World's Fair ticket in.

They are not hard to find, Lee. Look on eBay, but first click here to see what they've been selling for. No need to overpay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=%22irradiated+dime%22&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

When done looking, go the left side and take the checkmark out of the 'Sold' box, to see ones for sale right now.

I brought home the little blue and orange "television" slide viewer. You press the bottom and a new slide rotates into view. It's one of those things you hold up to the light and squint. The images have turned red and faded considerably. Mobile checklist. A foldout packet of postcards, the WF license plate which I bolted beneath our 1960 Merc station wagon's plate. I still have it, but I bent it to get it off the car quickly when my dad traded the car in for a used '64 Falcon Squire wagon. (we went to the fair in '65 in the Falcon).

I was allowed to shoot one roll of B&W print film on my shiny new Instamaic model 104 (?) camera. I still have about six of the prints from that dreary day in April of '64. Boy, what a fabulous design that simple 126 cartridge film system was.

Very interestingly, I still have the bag from the gift shop which is printed with "Jugoexport Beograd, Yugoslavia". It was later determined that I must have run into the International Plaza to buy last minute souvenirs, since Bill Young came up with a photo of the Jugoexport booth! Who knew Yugoslavia was at the fair???

post-86-0-75851000-1422914199_thumb.jpg post-86-0-91154100-1422914175_thumb.jpg

My favorite souvenir is my 25-cent refund quarter that I received in the mail from the American Locker Company, when a locker ate my money as I was trying to store my jacket for the day. Their machine had just eaten the equivalent of a Glide-a-Ride excursion. I was twelve, and I was unhappy. I took down the info and sent a complaint to the company. Six months later, I received a quarter back from them in the mail.

post-86-0-05371400-1422914266_thumb.jpg post-86-0-74484300-1422914274_thumb.jpg post-86-0-39528400-1422914240_thumb.jpg post-86-0-52838500-1422914253_thumb.jpg

I figured I'd bump this 3 year old thread (and hopefully get some new input):

I remember bringing home the orange tv viewer, guidebook, map, and the small silver unispheres they were selling all over the place.  However, my best souvenir was the one my Dad bought for me.  It was the US Royal toy tire Ferris Wheel (which I think cost him $9.95), which was a bit, considering the cost of gas at that time.  When I finally got it home, I forgot that you had to put batteries in it (2Ds, I think).  When I finally fired the baby up, was I disappointed.  I expected the thing to be somewhat quiet (with an electric motor), but the thing rattled like crazy.  And I do mean rattled.  The buckets were too small for just about anything to ride in them.  I think because of this, and the noise, I never really played with it that much.  But it did look great on my shelf.  

My favorite souvenir I recently picked up on ebay.  

Last weekend, I was going through a box of stuff my younger brother boxed up from my room when I moved out.  I found an ashtray I bought sometime in the 1980s at a garage sale like the one here on the right.  

Apparently, I was a NYWF collector long before I knew anything about it - I didn't make my first visit to FMCP until around 2010.

I don't have much from the fair: the 1965 guide book, map of the fair, and one $2 ticket. And a few slides(!). By the way, M.Onassis, its obvious from whom you inherited your good looks!

On 6/12/2018 at 8:57 PM, sunguar said:

It was the US Royal toy tire Ferris Wheel (which I think cost him $9.95), which was a bit, considering the cost of gas at that time. 

They must have been price gouging at the Fair. That same toy cost $2.98 at the tire dealer.

$9.95 in 1964 but would be something like $70 or $80 today.  I would think few people back then could have afforded a price like that.

3 hours ago, Steve_Frey said:

They must have been price gouging at the Fair. That same toy cost $2.98 at the tire dealer.

and

9 minutes ago, Randy Treadway said:

$9.95 in 1964 but would be something like $70 or $80 today.  I would think few people back then could have afforded a price like that.

You guys are probably right.  I don't remember the transaction, that's why I prefaced it with "I think".  And I really don't think my Dad would have coughed up that kind of money for a toy Ferris wheel, with him being far from wealthy.  (Gas being around 25 cent a gallon, that would have bought 40 gallons--Yikes)

I do remember looking at the box when I got it home thinking, " This is going to be a lot of fun to put together".  Imagine my dismay, when I opened the box and found it pre-assembled.